• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where's all the home grown talent?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where's all the home grown talent?

Currently helping client co. get a new contractor on board & I'm busy sifting through CVs.

My overriding thoughts are wouldn't it be nice to have a few CVs with names like Michael Jones or Jennifer Brown at the top instead of Sanjeev Gupta or Nitin Choudhary?

Where are they all?
    Last edited by zoco; 11 September 2014, 09:05.

Originally posted by zoco View Post
    Currently helping client co. get a new contractor on board & I'm busy sifting through CVs.

My overriding thoughts are wouldn't it be nice to have a few CVs with names like Michael Jones or Jennifer Brown at the top instead of Sanjeev Gupta or Nitin Choudhary?

Where are they all?
    Clearly you are not cut out to be a recruiter.

The idiot's guide to head wobbling

Strategic head wobbling

Head wobbling for the experiences traveller

HTH

Alexander Pergrine Farquarson-Brown

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
      Clearly you are not cut out to be a recruiter.

The idiot's guide to head wobbling

Strategic head wobbling

Head wobbling for the experiences traveller

HTH

Alexander Pergrine Farquarson-Brown
      Ah, you saw my original unexpurgated post!

The trick with the head wobble is simple really. As soon as they start doing that you know they're lying or the opposite of whatever it is they are wobbling their head at is true.

Comment

Its not just IT either, I saw on LinkedIn the other day an old school friend who's an agent but for engineering gigs (mechanical & electrical) with a status update of something along the lines of " looking for experienced mech or electrical engineers in the south east, get in touch ...... etc"

He must have had about 20 comments from Indians, saying "please look my profile", "I come to England no problem" etc

Comment

I know how you feel. I tried to hire for my start up and got not a single UK applicant ( of any ethnicity, I am not concerned about the spelling a persons name ). And I wasn't offering a shabby rate either.

Got no one.

Advertised. Got loads of "inappropriate" CV's. Asked friends, relatives, people down the pub. Couldn't find a single likely candidate. Never mind get to interview.

As luck happened though I had given some work to an Eastern European testing company, dropped the owner a mail and I've been employing a couple of guys he knows for the last 3 months.

They are working out really well. Very smart, very capable.

Comment

Ah, you saw my original unexpurgated post!

The trick with the head wobble is simple really. As soon as they start doing that you know they're lying or the opposite of whatever it is they are wobbling their head at is true.
            Reading my links, the overriding thing is that in many states, the wobble is used to signify 'I don't mind, you choose'

So if you ask a question like 'Which do you think is the best approach, big bang or iterative' and you get a wobble, simply thank them and say 'Next'

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
              I know how you feel. I tried to hire for my start up and got not a single UK applicant ( of any ethnicity, I am not concerned about the spelling a persons name ). And I wasn't offering a shabby rate either.

Got no one.

Advertised. Got loads of "inappropriate" CV's. Asked friends, relatives, people down the pub. Couldn't find a single likely candidate. Never mind get to interview.

As luck happened though I had given some work to an Eastern European testing company, dropped the owner a mail and I've been employing a couple of guys he knows for the last 3 months.

They are working out really well. Very smart, very capable.
              Out of interest, what was the rate you where offering?

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                Out of interest, what was the rate you where offering?
                £30 per hour.

Comment

Where are they all?
                  They are probably doing higher skilled work that the dross that you do.

Comment

Where are they all?
                    Maybe they don't want to work for a racist?

Most of the team I work on have Indian names. In fact only 2 not of Indian origin - me and an Italian/Argentinian. And they are all good. Very very good.

Why not look at their qualifications?

Comment

Working...
                    X