• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looking forward to this...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking forward to this...

Right on my doorstep & I didn't know this was going on until I rode past on my trusty steed earlier.

Used to have the 500cc MX GP there every year but I think they stopped doing it in the late 80s. Remember seeing all the big names there; Carlqvist, Malherbe Thorpe.

This is a veterans event & some of the classes are going to bring back a few memories - particularly looking forward to the 50+ twin shock class especially seeing a Maico 490 in action. I had one of those once - new top end rebuild every couple of hundred miles, or so it seemed... ah, the memories.

I love the smell of two strokes burning methanol... Better than napalm any day!
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
      I love the smell of two strokes burning methanol... Better than napalm any day!
      Or Castrol-R 40. Love the smell of that stuff.

Used to use it in all me 2 stroke bikes. Need to perform regular decokes though as the exhaust ports have a tendency to get very carboned up. Neglected to do this once on a Yammy DT175MX and burned a hole in the head of the piston.

Still use it in all me competition mowers though.

Comment

My fourteen mowers are all 4-Strokes... Castrol TTS is what we used in SA in the two strokes
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
          My fourteen mowers are all 4-Strokes... Castrol TTS is what we used in SA in the two strokes
          Fourteen?? And I thought I was obsessive about mowers! Got anything interesting in your collection?

This is my pride and joy:

I make a few quid out of that in the summer months too - do a few local cricket pitches and such like. Hooks up onto the back of me Landy.

By the way, do you race or do lawnmower marathons?

Comment

I don't race. I just buy them and fix them up. Two lawn tractors one of which have just sold. The rest are a mix of 14" / 17" / 20" cylinder mowers. Sussex Colts / Punch / Balmoral ranging from late 50's through early 00's. They always arrive "broken" and I spend the time reconditioning the carbs and engines. OCD.

Comment

Originally posted by zoco View Post
              Or Castrol-R 40. Love the smell of that stuff.

Used to use it in all me 2 stroke bikes. Need to perform regular decokes though as the exhaust ports have a tendency to get very carboned up. Neglected to do this once on a Yammy DT175MX and burned a hole in the head of the piston.

Still use it in all me competition mowers though.
              My fist bike was a Yamaha DT250MX, heap of tulip (actually it wasn't too bad but needed too much TLC.) I used to run my cars with Castrol R30, after a long trip you did have a bit of a headache though and it was primarily meant for racing engines so you used to have to rev the tulip out of them so that it wouldn't get too thick (it was a vegetable based oil). One way to also get that smell was to just pur some castor oil in the petrol tank (And Redex to get loads of smoke )
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                My fist bike was a Yamaha DT250MX, heap of tulip (actually it wasn't too bad but needed too much TLC.) I used to run my cars with Castrol R30, after a long trip you did have a bit of a headache though and it was primarily meant for racing engines so you used to have to rev the tulip out of them so that it wouldn't get too thick (it was a vegetable based oil). One way to also get that smell was to just pur some castor oil in the petrol tank (And Redex to get loads of smoke )
                Cool being on a monoshock back in those days though wasn't it?

Comment

Working...
                X