• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Wire

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Wire

How long did it take before you got hooked on this?

I have to agree on all the other series that people have raved about on here and other places e.g. Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones etc but I'm on Season 1 ep 6 and I'm just not there yet.

I'm also struggling just a liddle bit with the patois. May have to turn the subtitles on lol

I liked it from the start.

It's worth remembering that, although many of the same locations, characters, and situations appear throughout, it's more like a collection of five novels, with each episode as a chapter. Though all the novels are set in Baltimore and centre around the same themes relating to social, political, and urban decay, they are nonetheless all distinct from one another, and each focuses on those problems in relation to a specific context within the city: the projects, the docks, the politicians, the schools, and the media.

But, has it really taken you since January to get through six episodes? You'll have trouble keeping track of what happened if you're watching it at the rate of one episode every six weeks

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

But, has it really taken you since January to get through six episodes? You'll have trouble keeping track of what happened if you're watching it at the rate of one episode every six weeks
      I started again.

I'm determined to finish season 1 but I'm hooked on Ray Donovan now so I may not make it...

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
        I started again.

I'm determined to finish season 1 but I'm hooked on Ray Donovan now so I may not make it...
        There are two problems with The Wire:

1) Most people assume its a cop show like Law and Order. It is not. One case is whole season. And also its really a social drame about how the American Dream has failed and everyone pretends it hasn't. Thus to understand it, you need to watch 4 episodes at a time back to back with no interruptions. Most people cannot dedicate that sort of time to it. They are still in the pick and put down mode of cop shows.
        2) The street language is a problem for some people. I found it not an issue, but I know some people have never heard accents like this before and struggle. Turn the subtitles on or get out more and learn street talk.

If you can get past these you will find it is the best show ever made. I dislike criminal drama's, but The Wire is the best show ever made. Probably because as I said it's really a social drama.

BTW:
        While Ray is well made, from watching season 2 I can tell it's already moving into too much of a soap opera every episode. People will get bored of the over the top incidents soon enough. it will go for 5 seasons though as it has a fan base now.

Comment

Originally posted by LazyFan View Post
          There are two problems with The Wire:

1) Most people assume its a cop show like Law and Order. It is not. One case is whole season. And also its really a social drame about how the American Dream has failed and everyone pretends it hasn't. Thus to understand it, you need to watch 4 episodes at a time back to back with no interruptions. Most people cannot dedicate that sort of time to it. They are still in the pick and put down mode of cop shows.
          2) The street language is a problem for some people. I found it not an issue, but I know some people have never heard accents like this before and struggle. Turn the subtitles on or get out more and learn street talk.

If you can get past these you will find it is the best show ever made. I dislike criminal drama's, but The Wire is the best show ever made. Probably because as I said it's really a social drama.

BTW:
          While Ray is well made, from watching season 2 I can tell it's already moving into too much of a soap opera every episode. People will get bored of the over the top incidents soon enough. it will go for 5 seasons though as it has a fan base now.

What? In deepest South Somerset?

Comment

FWIW, Americans - even African-Americans - also have to deal with the street talk, as much of it is dialect specific to the streets of Baltimore. Remember, the show was created by a former Baltimore crime journalist and a former Baltimore homicide detective, so it's seriously authentic, but for somebody from East LA it's a bit like Trainspotting is for somebody from Epping

Comment

First season - meh

Second season, 1st episode, hooked!

Comment

I loved The Wire, I think it took about 6 or so episodes before I was hooked though.

My wife and her friends developed a lust for Dominic West (McNulty) until I crushed it by pointing out he played a rather convincing Fred West in the TV Series 'Appropriate Adult' with nothing really aesthetically changed apart from growing his hair a bit

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
                  How long did it take before you got hooked on this?

I have to agree on all the other series that people have raved about on here and other places e.g. Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones etc but I'm on Season 1 ep 6 and I'm just not there yet.

I'm also struggling just a liddle bit with the patois. May have to turn the subtitles on lol
                  I agree to a certain extent, I seem to remember that I found the first 3-4 episodes hard work, but then the addiction kicked in, and promptly did all 5 seasons.

Loved it.

Have tried to persuade the wife to give it a go, as I fancy a revisit, but no joy as yet.
                  Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

The Wire is probably my favorite TV series of all time. Some of the characters are fantastic and the way its shot / delivered focusing on each characters story is well done.

Proposition Joe, Barksdale, McNulty, Keema, Marlo....The great characters are endless and a pleasure to watch.

TV at its finest
                    Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

Working...
                    X