• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Suggestion on technology selection for for contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestion on technology selection for for contracting

I have been in permanent role for past few years but now want to start contracting. I have a dilemma about selecting the technologies for the contracting role.

I have worked on Java/JEE based enterprise web application development (Spring MVC, Hibernate, JQuery, Oracle etc.) for the past years but most recent project has been on Scala, and Play Framework. I liked Scala and want to look for opportunities that involve Scala. Though I am not an expert in it yet, I would like to work on it.

I need suggestions from experienced contractors on if I should be looking for contracting in Scala or in Java/JEE. There are many opportunities which have both Scala and Java/JEE but the expectations about Scala expertise could be very high.

Please suggest.

Originally posted by stit View Post
    There are many opportunities which have both Scala and Java/JEE but the expectations about Scala expertise could be very high.
    If the expectations for Scala are high when it's joint alongside Java, then presumably it'd be even higher if it was Scala alone?

So I think you've answered your own question there - if you're going to go for Scala, look for a gig where Scala isn't the primary technology required.

You'll know whether you know enough or not when you either start getting offers, or not.

Comment

While you might be able to find something, starting contracting and learning isn't the easiest thing to do.

Get the experience first in permie world, then try contracting.

Comment

Working...
      X