• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are You Ready To Become Obsolete?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something we have been discussing on here a few times.

Good article on LinkedIn

How much of the advise do you already follow?
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

"advice" tut tut
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Already on the case - that's my business model (says the ex-BA, now Service Management Expert...)
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

It says you should talk to experts. "Take them to coffee and just ask them to fill you in"

Which in my case means they'll probably give me a good kicking

Edit: But seriously it is a good article. It is very easy to get complacent, especially if you've been working for years and have built up decent warchest. That and the pressing concern of other interests has caused me to slack off the last few years. Not good.
        Last edited by KentPhilip; 15 September 2014, 09:27.

Comment

I am always looking at the 'next big thing' but currently there are so many 'things'. It's hard to know what will disappear and what will survive.
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

I wonder if COBOL programmers wonder about the obsolescence thing.

qh
            He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
              I am always looking at the 'next big thing' but currently there are so many 'things'. It's hard to know what will disappear and what will survive.
              Gartner Hype Cycle.

qh
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

In the 1990's we had Windows, C++, then Java, client server computing, the death of OS2, VMS and AS400, the rise of UNIX, The Internet, SAP, the rise of MOTIF, the death of MOTIF, Objected oriented development, CORBA, SOAP, J2SEE.

In the 2000's nothing much has happened.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                  Digital
                  I'm being slightly off topic here, but what amazes me is the survival of the word 'Digital', e.g. Digital Marketing and Digital Business. Wasn't this term the big buzzword in the 70s and 80s? I imagine the red digits on an old Sinclair calculator. Given the rate at which marketing and buzzwords keep changing, I'd have thought it would have been thrown into the dustbin of history by now replaced by 'i' (iThings) or 'e' (e-things). In this case it is quite ironic that digital is associated with marketing.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                    Digital
                    I'm being slightly off topic here, but what amazes me is the survival of the word 'Digital', e.g. Digital Marketing and Digital Business. Wasn't this term the big buzzword in the 70s and 80s? I imagine the red digits on an old Sinclair calculator. Given the rate at which marketing and buzzwords keep changing, I'd have thought it would have been thrown into the dustbin of history by now replaced by 'i' (iThings) or 'e' (e-things). In this case it is quite ironic that digital is associated with marketing.
                    Yes, this should have finish off Digital.

In 1977, Ken Olsen, the founder and CEO of Digital Equipment Corporation, said, "There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home."
                    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Working...
                    X