• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Roast shoulder of lamb

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roast shoulder of lamb

Yep, I am cooking again today.

Got me daughter and her family coming over, plus I need to empty the freezer, So I have gone for the biggie.

Tis a difficult joint to cook, but this seems to work well :-

put the oven on as high as it will go.

Get a large deep roasting dish

lay down a 4 cloves of garlic, unpleeled. half a dozen sprigs of rosemary.

Brush the nottom of the lamb with olive oil.

Place the lamb on top of the herbs, slice the fat. rub in salt and pepper, then brush with oil.
    put some skewers through, cover tightly with foil.

turn the oven down to 170
    cook for 4 hours.

let it rest a few minutes, then 'pull' the meat off with forks (as opposed to slicing )

throw in a few roasties, boilies and a few veggies and some gravy.
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Yep, I am cooking again today.

Got me daughter and her family coming over, plus I need to empty the freezer, So I have gone for the biggie.

Tis a difficult joint to cook, but this seems to work well :-

put the oven on as high as it will go.

Get a large deep roasting dish

lay down a 4 cloves of garlic, unpleeled. half a dozen sprigs of rosemary.

Brush the nottom of the lamb with olive oil.

Place the lamb on top of the herbs, slice the fat. rub in salt and pepper, then brush with oil.
    put some skewers through, cover tightly with foil.

turn the oven down to 170
    cook for 4 hours.

let it rest a few minutes, then 'pull' the meat off with forks (as opposed to slicing )

throw in a few roasties, boilies and a few veggies and some gravy.
    WHS except, I put some holes in the meat, stud with garlic and rosemary and sometimes anchovies and then lower it to about 120 and cook for about 6-7 hours, with about 2 hours left, I slice some spuds up ( not too thin) and put into a separate roasting tin and drain some of the lamb juices into it and cook, then once the lamb is out and resting I put the oven up high again to crisp the spuds off.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
      WHS except, I put some holes in the meat, stud with garlic and rosemary and sometimes anchovies and then lower it to about 120 and cook for about 6-7 hours, with about 2 hours left, I slice some spuds up ( not too thin) and put into a separate roasting tin and drain some of the lamb juices into it and cook, then once the lamb is out and resting I put the oven up high again to crisp the spuds off.
      +1 for the Garlic and Rosemary, anchovies.... hmmmm might have to think about that
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        +1 for the Garlic and Rosemary, anchovies.... hmmmm might have to think about that
        Always best to slice the garlic thinly, other wise you end up with raw lumps.

I also like to add some roast carrots, I wrap them up in tinfoil add, salt and pepper and some thyme and they cook in enough time while the meat is resting.
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Don't forget the mint sauce while serving !

Comment

Anchovies (Rest of it sounds great though)
            ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

I have never cooked a leg of lamb for more than 115 minutes, since my family like it pink and bloody...
              I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

drool!
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

smells fantastic. that'll be the rosemary.

15 minutes to go. then...

i'm going in.
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    smells fantastic. that'll be the rosemary.

15 minutes to go. then...

i'm going in.
                    Riveting... is this mumsnet? who the ***** gives a tulip about some crappy dinner you're cooking for your clan, banal posts like this explain how you've managed to amass so many posts in your miserable little life, twat.

Comment

Working...
                    X