• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lower Ground Floor Flat

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lower Ground Floor Flat

I have seen what appears to be an ideal investment flat purchase - however it is a lower ground floor flat (not basement)...

I have read various advantages and disadvantages of buying on this level - does anyone have any experiences positive or negative towards a lower ground floor flat ?

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    I have seen what appears to be an ideal investment flat purchase - however it is a lower ground floor flat (not basement)...

I have read various advantages and disadvantages of buying on this level - does anyone have any experiences positive or negative towards a lower ground floor flat ?
    yep.

1. upstairs neighbours were scallies. lots of thumping on their floor (my ceiling.) used nappies thrown into my back garden on a daily basis. Loud music. Hand to hand combat in the wee small hours.

2. More Vulnerable to burglars
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Be very careful with flats. The community fees normally make them a poor investment for a start. Secondly it's quite possible there are clauses in the lease that forbid sub letting so need to pay for a solicitor to review this, not your conveyancing solicitor.

There are then the issues of not having any control over people around you, people not paying fees, management company issues etc. I've done a ground floor flat and I would say steer well clear. Quite possible there are a glut of flats in the area which us why it looks good as well.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Its ideal for letting - to prostitutes.

Comment

Thanks for the two responses. I am aware of the pitfalls around flats generally as have been described.

I am more after pros/cons of lower ground floor flats specifically - stories around extra damp, bugs/ants in the summer, vermin etc. Not sure how much of this is to be believed etc and so looking for experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
            Thanks for the two responses. I am aware of the pitfalls around flats generally as have been described.

I am more after pros/cons of lower ground floor flats specifically - stories around extra damp, bugs/ants in the summer, vermin etc. Not sure how much of this is to be believed etc and so looking for experiences.
            no comments or experience on any of this BUT.. we did have a tank burst one night.
            top flat got away with a bit of damp
            bottom flat (me) lost carpets, decorating, all electrical goods, bedding. a lot of clothes too
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)

Comment

a big plus.

I didnt have to carry stuff upstairs. believe me, that matters
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)

Comment

Depends on what type of flat. Is it a stone mill conversion or a modern or new building flat? Damp course should be part of the infrastructure so community should pay but could get in to an argument. Ground floor is better for old and disabled people. A majority of people that came to view mine were old and liked the idea of ground floor. Is it communal entry or has its own door?

The letting agents told me young tenants don't tend to mind what floor it is. They tend to be bothered if the interior is nice.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X