• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Indian Phonetics

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indian Phonetics

For want of a better thread title...

I was chatting with an Indian colleague and he was telling me about the many different languages that are spoken in India. His mother tongue is Hindi, though he says he can also speak a bit of Gujurati, but he was explaining how somebody from India would pronounce letters in the western alphabet. A "w" is pronounced like a "v" and vice versa - I'm sure we've all heard that. In fact I remember being in stitches in a security meeting many moons ago when an attendee was expressing possible security violations on the Wax Wee-Em-Ess system for which he was responsible.

But anyway, I digress. He also explained to me that the letter "x" has a "ksh" sound - so the word taxi would be pronounced by many Indians as "takshi".

Hearing this, I had to restrain myself from enquiring as to how one was supposed to pronounce the name of our newest team member sat opposite whose name, I noticed from looking at his badge, was Bindhu Dixit

I miss zoco.

lol, that funny little racist. How we laughed at his continuous threads about Indians.

Still, he's only going to be gone a week. I wonder what we'll do in the meantime?

Anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
      I miss zoco.

lol, that funny little racist. How we laughed at his continuous threads about Indians.

Still, he's only going to be gone a week. I wonder what we'll do in the meantime?

Anyone?
      If only there was someone exactly like him who could fill in. Oh well

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        I miss zoco.

Anyone?
        Tricky, maybe some other sockpuppet of the same unfunny, uninventive, negative charisma sad sack individual will pop up and post in a similar style.

You never know they may have a desperately feeble typing affectation and carry the bulltulip fantasy to the point of assuming a fake female personality, but we might be lucky and dodge those particular bullets.

Comment

This sockie is good. Knows all the tricks in the box. Want to gain brownie points off the forum ? no problem, just post any made up bollox about Indians and its bound to gain a few fans.

I miss Gricer, bring him up, at least he wasnt trying to be funny posting racist crap.
          Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
            This sockie is good. Knows all the tricks in the box. Want to gain brownie points off the forum ? no problem, just post any made up bollox about Indians and its bound to gain a few fans.

I miss Gricer, bring him up, at least he wasnt trying to be funny posting racist crap.
            Why is it racist?

Comment

Sorry, don't see how this is racist.

Comment

Originally posted by Freaki Li Cuatre View Post
                Sorry, don't see how this is racist.
                F L C is back.

Now, where is Pachers?

Comment

Originally posted by alluvial View Post
                  Why is it racist?
                  Because some po-faced, middle-class prick has decided it is.

Control the language, control the people. Oh, and turn a blind eye to the mass-rape of white kids. That helps to keeps the oiks in their place.

My response is every little tulip crying racist from now on is one word - Rotherham.

Comment

What I like is that stuff in Hindi cannot be directly translated into English. Ask your Indian colleague to explain Jai Ho - as in the title of the song from Slumdog Millionaire.

Highly amusing as they try to explain that in English!

Comment

Working...
                    X