• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inequality

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inequality

I had to read these twice over.

If the top 1% actually created more jobs as they became wealthier, then ordinary people would be surrounded by employment opportunities in both the US and the UK. Instead, it is in Germany, where the wealthiest 1% receives in pay and bonuses half as much as their counterparts in the US, that unemployment is at a 20-year low. In countries that keep their top 1% in check, the highest earners work more effectively for the good of all, or at the very least create a little less misery.
    If the national minimum wage had kept pace with FTSE 100 CEO salaries since 1999, it would now be £18.89 per hour instead of £6.50. However, for some reason broadcasters rarely ask CEOs about the gulf between their pay and that of the poorest staff in their organisations. The unstated implication is that the lowest-paid staff are lucky to have any job at all, and only have what they have thanks to the benevolence of the 1%, with their superior leadership skills.
    Westminster as a functioning government has truly failed the ordinary citizen. I wonder why we continue to take it? Perhaps the belief that we can all be like the top 1% keeps us quiet.

How the super rich got richer: 10 shocking facts about inequality
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    I had to read these twice over.

Westminster as a functioning government has truly failed the ordinary citizen. I wonder why we continue to take it? Perhaps the belief that we can all be like the top 1% keeps us quiet.

How the super rich got richer: 10 shocking facts about inequality
    Pre-globalisation the developed countries' working classes enjoyed wages that were inflated by the historic suppression by the imperial powers of manufacturing industries in colonised countries and also in China.

Globalisation has seen some jobs move to developing countries and remaining jobs suffer wage competition. So wages are driven, but this drives profitability up.

Or some tulip like that.

Comment

I'm beginning to think globalisation is a dirty word.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Do people harp on about celebrity earnings nearly as much as they do about CEO earnings? Nonetheless, Working as intended (TM) as far as the govt and central banks are concerned. Germany does not have central banks shovelling money in the direction of connected banks, businesses and political elites, so that helps.

Comment

Ever thought that, as a contractor, you may form part of the 1%?
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

It's not so bad if you're a Malaysian or Mexican worker in a skilled job. Or a FTSE 100 CEO.

Not so good for the developed country working classes.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
              scootie doesn't get percentages.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                At 200,000 (if you believe HMRC's guesswork) of us in a working population of what, 30m, it's closer to 0.1%.

It'd be nice to be part of the actual 1% though.

Comment

you are quick to catch on
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Sounds like jealousy to me.
                    If you see corruption, then point it out and fight against it. But framing it as inequality implies that you believe that other men don't completely own their own lives, and ought to work for the sake of others (usually those moaning about inequality).

Half the reason such corruption has existed for so long, and continues to exist, is because among the great unwashed, concerns of corruption & evil are eclipsed by their own capacity to envy, and their desire to consume more than they produce.

Comment

Working...
                    X