• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Deadlines don't exist

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deadlines don't exist

They don't. No Really they Don't. Not really....They comprise -
    1. The “My boss has given me a delivery deadline (which they made up) because he / she was given a deadline (which in turn their boss made up( etc etc but actually there isn’t ultimately any Deadline, Deadline. Otherwise known as a Chain Nonsense Deadline
    2. The “I’m going to make you lot work harder deadline by thinking up a reasonable amount of time to complete the task and halving it Deadline” Otherwise known as the Slave Driving Deadline
    3. The “I have been asked for a predicted delivery date so i’ll think of one and double it deadline” Otherwise known as the Covering My Arse Deadline
    4. The “We haven’t got a bloody clue how long its going to take, we have to think of something and we want to go home Deadline, Deadline”. Otherwise known as the Made up on a Friday at 5 o clock deadline.

Discuss?

Discuss what exactly??
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      The flying speed of the African Swallow?
      The swallowing speed of the African fly?

Comment

What a strange post.

One example off the top of my head - a customer at a previous client had a system that didn't meet some new reporting requirements of their government and central bank. If we didn't meet the deadline to implement the new system then they would be unable to operate in that country until implementation was complete.
        ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

"Deadlines don't exist". Yes they do and you've just listed 4 types.

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
            What a strange post.

One example off the top of my head - a customer at a previous client had a system that didn't meet some new reporting requirements of their government and central bank. If we didn't meet the deadline to implement the new system then they would be unable to operate in that country until implementation was complete.
            But who in the government / central bank made up the deadline and why? I'm not saying deadlines should not exist (otherwise nothing would ever get done). I'm just saying ultimately most deadlines in the business world are made up and are usually not life threatening. The world is not going to end if Julie in accounts misses the VAT run deadline. It amuses me how much fuss is made of missed deadlines and individuals chewed out when most of them were the result of guesswork and finger in the air activities.

Comment

Originally posted by Contractoid View Post
              But who in the government / central bank made up the deadline and why? I'm not saying deadlines should not exist (otherwise nothing would ever get done). I'm just saying ultimately most deadlines in the business world are made up and are usually not life threatening. The world is not going to end if Julie in accounts misses the VAT run deadline. It amuses me how much fuss is made of missed deadlines and individuals chewed out when most of them were the result of guesswork and finger in the air activities.
              Given that it would have cost the client seven figures a day not to be trading I'd think there would have been quite a lot of fuss.
              ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

we have to fix the deadlines, hours & project costs within 5% (+/-) at the design gate.

can be quite fun when someone senior changes the design during development.

good, fast and cheap - pick any two.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                  Given that it would have cost the client seven figures a day not to be trading I'd think there would have been quite a lot of fuss.
                  Fair enough. I'm talking about the sort of deadlines that are made up by guesswork (often completely unrealistic) and when not hit there is a completely over the top reaction and ridiculous blame game politics that destroys relationships.

Comment

Originally posted by Contractoid View Post
                    Fair enough. I'm talking about the sort of deadlines that are made up by guesswork (often completely unrealistic) and when not hit there is a completely over the top reaction and ridiculous blame game politics that destroys relationships.
                    So deadlines do exist?
                    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Working...
                    X