• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Professional Indemnity Insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Professional Indemnity Insurance

Hi
    I am starting a ltd company, I did a contract review and unfortunately I fall inside the IR35.
    My question is regarding Professional Indemnity Insurance - I found out that I do not need Employers or Public Liability insurance, and by contract I am not required professional indemnity insurance either but would I need it. I am trying to think of different possible scenarios but I cant think of any, can anybody help pls.
    Thanks
    Bill

If you have no contractual requirement then the simple answer is no, the better answer is: it depends on the sector you work in and what level of risk there is of something coming back and biting you.

I'm no fan of insurance for insurance sake but it's not that expensive and you may need it for a future contract.

Your IR35 status doesn't really come into it.

Comment

Thanks for that.
      I will always be at the clients office, coordinating training, ie making sure that everybody goes to the right place etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill84 View Post
        Hi
        I am starting a ltd company, I did a contract review and unfortunately I fall inside the IR35.
        My question is regarding Professional Indemnity Insurance - I found out that I do not need Employers or Public Liability insurance, and by contract I am not required professional indemnity insurance either but would I need it. I am trying to think of different possible scenarios but I cant think of any, can anybody help pls.
        Thanks
        Bill
        What makes you think you don't need Public Liability Insurance? If you're working on a client site then for the couple of quid a week it's likely to cost it would seem sensible to have cover in place.
        ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
          What makes you think you don't need Public Liability Insurance? If you're working on a client site then for the couple of quid a week it's likely to cost it would seem sensible to have cover in place.
          You generally don't need public liability insurance if the client company doesn't share facilities with other companies.

If you go off-site to give training/meetings in different places then you may need it depending on the location you got to.

I only first got it because I was working on a site where the toilets and kitchen was shared with other companies. There was a notice making it clear that each company needed their own public liability insurance as the company running the site didn't cover individual companies.

Now I have it because it's bundled with some of my other insurances.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            You generally don't need public liability insurance if the client company doesn't share facilities with other companies.

If you go off-site to give training/meetings in different places then you may need it depending on the location you got to.

I only first got it because I was working on a site where the toilets and kitchen was shared with other companies. There was a notice making it clear that each company needed their own public liability insurance as the company running the site didn't cover individual companies.

Now I have it because it's bundled with some of my other insurances.
            Why? If I were to accidentally destroy some of client co's equipment or a permie were to trip over my laptop's power cable doing themselves an injury and decide to sue me then it'd be coming out of my co's pocket if I didn't have PLI.
            ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Well, I dont have my own computer or anything, Public liability insurance Im 99% that I dont need unless somebody can come up with an example that would apply to me, Just a guy goes to an office, and coordiantes stuff. Thats all.
              Anyway what I m interested in is Professional indemnity Insurance - any ideas?
              Thanks

Comment

Well, I dont have my own computer or anything, Public liability insurance Im 99% that I dont need unless somebody can come up with an example that would apply to me, Just a guy goes to an office, and coordiantes stuff. Thats all.
                Thanks
                QDOS sell it.

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                  Why? If I were to accidentally destroy some of client co's equipment or a permie were to trip over my laptop's power cable doing themselves an injury and decide to sue me then it'd be coming out of my co's pocket if I didn't have PLI.
                  If I accidentally destroyed a client's laptop then it would be cheaper for my company to reimburse them for it then to claim on any insurance even if the cost was more. I don't touch any other equipment of a client that is more expensive.

If a permie tripped over my laptop cable they would go after their employer first as permies don't know what insurances we do and don't have, and most clients would be aware of what insurances we have due to what was agreed with the agency. The employer's insurance would then only chase you if they knew you were insured and the claim was massive.

Comment

Thanks
                    You accidentally spill hot coffee on someone. They get burned and decide to sue you.

You accidentally spill coffee on the computer your client's provided, they ask you to pay for a replacement.

You leave a bag where someone could trip over it, they do and decide to sue you for costs of ongoing medical treatment and loss of earnings because the fall caused a back injury.

Your call, of course, but as a contractor you don't have an employer to fall back on for support, you're on your own.
                    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Working...
                    X