• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

1st class cheaper than economy on Virgin trains

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st class cheaper than economy on Virgin trains

No idea what Virgin are playing at but clientco booked my a train to London this Friday and 1st class was the cheapest option....

Bonkers really but I guess I will be enjoying the breakie!

If you are booking far enough in advance, then there are big differences.

The other week I was looking at one journey and it was half the price in first class compared to standard.

Obviously, I waited until the price had gone up before I booked it, just so that when I charged it back to the client I made even more money on the FRS
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Client may also have negotiated a deal via Virgin or an aggregator.

Comment

Virgin 1st-class is crap. A paper cup of coffee and a microwaved bacon roll.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          On a Monday morning I have choice of juices and cereal. Then the cooked breakfast - i always go for smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, then toast or croissants and lots and lots of coffee.
          All bought to my seat and all on proper china plates, with a proper knife and fork.

(I only have the cooked breakfast these days as I try and fit in a bit of a snooze before I get to London.)

Don’t know where you're travelling from but the morning trains from Manchester to London are very comfy.

And on the Friday afternoon train, I get a nice V&T... or 2
          Oh and as I'm a Virginrail Traveller, it's all free

But as for First being cheaper than standard, this has been happening for years.
          I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
            On a Monday morning I have choice of juices and cereal. Then the cooked breakfast - i always go for smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, then toast or croissants and lots and lots of coffee.
            All bought to my seat and all on proper china plates, with a proper knife and fork.

(I only have the cooked breakfast these days as I try and fit in a bit of a snooze before I get to London.)

Don’t know where you're travelling from but the morning trains from Manchester to London are very comfy.
            Very much depends on the route. When I was travelling to Reading, I used to get the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs on the first leg from Preston (full English took too long to bring round). Change at Stafford, then post Birmingham they'd come round with a bacon roll as well
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

And on the Friday afternoon train, I get a nice V&T... or 2
              Oh and as I'm a Virginrail Traveller, it's all free

But as for First being cheaper than standard, this has been happening for years.
              Brought

Comment

Ta for the info. I think perhaps London routes perhaps get the proper treatment. The direct train Scotland-Penzance is very different, which is a shame because the one time you'd really benefit from decent services is a train taking 8+ hours (9 from Durham, probably 12 from Scotland)
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Ta for the info. I think perhaps London routes perhaps get the proper treatment. The direct train Scotland-Penzance is very different, which is a shame because the one time you'd really benefit from decent services is a train taking 8+ hours (9 from Durham, probably 12 from Scotland)
                  It's the difference between the Pendolino and the Voyager service.

Voyager = smaller trains, no proper kitchen, no proper food service
                  Pendolino = bigger trains, real food.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Incorrect. I get service at the table. Each time was drinks. 1st time peanuts. Then sarnies. Then something hot. Then some dessert. Bargain!

I just their wifi worked.

Comment

Working...
                    X