PDA

View Full Version : Hanging up the stetson, stirrups and six-shooter

craig1
17th September 2014, 18:14
Well, that's it. After just nine months shy of two decades of being a contractor I've sold out and have accepted a permie job. Nearly my current contract rate (albeit now on PAYE), plus a great pension, plus 6 weeks of PAID HOLIDAYS. I may even take a day off sick and get paid! The thought of being able to go on holiday and still get paid AND still have a nearly guaranteed job when I get back almost brings a tear to these weary eyes.

A bit of reminiscing had me look back over my records:
- 26 separate contracts ranging from £180p/d to £2000 per day
- Averaging just over 9 months working a year, lowest was 2010 at 2 months (deliberate, due to my wife being ill) highest was 2011 where I had 2 working days off trying to rebuild the war-chest
- Most interesting contract was at a company doing a 4 way simultaneous merger
- Most horrendous contract was demerging a major spin-off from a FTSE100 client
- Biggest temperature change in 24 hours: I went from Melbourne where it was registering over 30C to Calgary where it was under -20C. Over 50 degrees Celsius change in 24 hours.
- Biggest expense claim: £28,000. My fault for not reading the contract's fine print that expenses were only claimable on full delivery.
- Smallest expense claim: 56p for a recorded delivery receipt just to prove a point. I think it was 56p anyway, can't find that invoice but I know it was around that and it was paid.

So, that's it. A bit sad in some ways but I think it was time to get out and actually onto the permie career ladder at a fairly senior management position while it was being offered.

It feels like someone has finally given the Littlest Hobo a home.

mudskipper
17th September 2014, 18:29
Well done that man.

(I once submitted a (permie) expenses claim for the public toilet at Waterloo - 20p at the time)

EternalOptimist
17th September 2014, 18:30
good one Craig.
how much did your ltd turn over in that decade ? out of curiosity

craig1
17th September 2014, 18:36
good one Craig.
how much did your ltd turn over in that decade ? out of curiosity

Approx £2m based on a rough calculation in the 19 years 3 months. Would be a good bit more if I could be bothered to put it into today's values.

greenlake
17th September 2014, 18:44
A bit sad in some ways but I think it was time to get out and actually onto the permie career ladder at a fairly senior management position while it was being offered.

Welcome to the....
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/512xwH6prqL.jpg

BrilloPad
17th September 2014, 18:46
Well, that's it. After just nine months shy of two decades of being a contractor I've sold out and have accepted a permie job.

Goodbye then. Don't forget to hand in your username and don't let the door slam your arse on the way out.

:rolleyes:

DiscoStu
17th September 2014, 19:02
Welcome to the dark side :yay:

tractor
17th September 2014, 19:33
"Hanging up the stetson, stirrups and six-shooter"

With that title, I thought this was going to be another 'I'm leaving this big 4 consultancy' thread :D

Well done and good luck!

vetran
17th September 2014, 20:46
Well done that man.

(I once submitted a (permie) expenses claim for the public toilet at Waterloo - 20p at the time)

taking the piss hey?

vetran
17th September 2014, 20:47
It feels like someone has finally given the Littlest Hobo a home.

congrats welcome to 6 monthly reviews & development plans

NickFitz
17th September 2014, 23:16
Congratulations on what sounds like a pretty epic load of contracting - oh, and the new job :yay:

Don't forget to pop back during your multiplicity of paid coffee breaks and tell us how things are on the dark side, pour encourager les autres :)

norrahe
18th September 2014, 09:16
Good luck in the future!

sirja
18th September 2014, 12:56
You've definitely earned the right to make this choice. Best of luck and do keep us posted on 'Tales from the dark side':happy

jmo21
18th September 2014, 13:03
What are your main reasons for going permie, Craig.

I respect your right to privacy of course, just interested, no offence meant.

craig1
20th September 2014, 11:05
What are your main reasons for going permie, Craig.

I respect your right to privacy of course, just interested, no offence meant.

The biggest one was a growing sense of frustration at delivering all these wonderful projects, services and companies only to hand them over to numpties to ruin. I want to be part of the bigger picture now, deciding what direction to go, getting in the right teams of people to implement it then managing it until the next iteration. In short, changing roles from being responsible for individual programmes and projects to being accountable for an entire service.

Also, I get bloody annoyed at seeing staff mismanagement, wasting all that talent and allowing the narcissistic ones to prosper, my new role has me managing a number of departments where I can at least minimise the worst of the mismanagement and promote positive behaviours.

Churchill
20th September 2014, 11:55
The biggest one was a growing sense of frustration at delivering all these wonderful projects, services and companies only to hand them over to numpties to ruin. I want to be part of the bigger picture now, deciding what direction to go, getting in the right teams of people to implement it then managing it until the next iteration. In short, changing roles from being responsible for individual programmes and projects to being accountable for an entire service.

Also, I get bloody annoyed at seeing staff mismanagement, wasting all that talent and allowing the narcissistic ones to prosper, my new role has me managing a number of departments where I can at least minimise the worst of the mismanagement and promote positive behaviours.

Let's start a sweep. My call is 9 months and you'll be back contracting.

original PM
20th September 2014, 13:04

A noble crusade one which I have been on for a year or so now....

It takes patience and can be done but watch your back one tiny error and the narcissists will be queueing up to stab you.

Keep us posted on progress.

:-)

Sysman
20th September 2014, 14:12

I wish you luck, but you will need to watch out for weasels and backstabbers in management who will try to drag you down to their level,

And then you'll have to fight with HR :mad:

Sysman
20th September 2014, 14:15
A noble crusade one which I have been on for a year or so now....

It takes patience and can be done but watch your back one tiny error and the narcissists will be queueing up to stab you.

Keep us posted on progress.

:-)

Feck me, I posted my bit about backstabbers before reading your post.

original PM
20th September 2014, 17:58
Feck me, I posted my bit about backstabbers before reading your post.

Meh I do it all the time.. But for that one little error

Brace yourself ;-)