• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Think I've been ripped off - what do do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think I've been ripped off - what do do?

I bought a pot for my boiler from a company I found on the internet. Paid over the phone & the bloke said he would post it the next day.

That was 2 weeks ago. Have spoken since and he is adamant that he sent it Royal mail. He said give it a couple more days & if it doesn't show up to get in touch again. Well, that was 4 days ago -since then I've sent several emails, none of which has been answered and he doesn't answer his phone.

How can I turn up the heat? (excuse the pun, I really want to be able to turn up the heat - literally!). I've asked him for a tracking no. in one of his unanswered emails - at least if I had that I could find out from the Royal Mail what's going on.

Suppose he did just post it Royal Mail with no recorded delivery or anything like that & it just got lost - surely he's liable to cough up and give me a refund?

Anything legal I can do at this stage?

Vote YES. A Royal Mail unicorn will deliver it next day.

Comment

Originally posted by Freaki Li Cuatre View Post
      I bought a pot for my boiler from a company I found on the internet. Paid over the phone & the bloke said he would post it the next day.

That was 2 weeks ago. Have spoken since and he is adamant that he sent it Royal mail. He said give it a couple more days & if it doesn't show up to get in touch again. Well, that was 4 days ago -since then I've sent several emails, none of which has been answered and he doesn't answer his phone.

How can I turn up the heat? (excuse the pun, I really want to be able to turn up the heat - literally!). I've asked him for a tracking no. in one of his unanswered emails - at least if I had that I could find out from the Royal Mail what's going on.

Suppose he did just post it Royal Mail with no recorded delivery or anything like that & it just got lost - surely he's liable to cough up and give me a refund?

Anything legal I can do at this stage?
      yes. always wear a seatbelt, and dont listen to a word that Gary Glitter tells you
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
        Vote YES. A Royal Mail unicorn will deliver it next day.
        Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        yes. always wear a seatbelt, and dont listen to a word that Gary Glitter tells you
        Oh just f**k off won't you. Cock'eds.

Comment

Ask for proof of it being sent via recorded mail delivery AGAIN, if no reply or conclusive response and if it was purchased by a credit card then go to your credit card company and get ready with the evidence (order, receipt, e-mails etc.), if purchased with debit card then just contact trading standards (I think) but I'm not sure where you go from there. You could go the legal route if you paid via debit card, i.e. get a solicitor to send them a nasty letter but this can get expensive if they don't do anything and follow up letters are needed. You could take them to smalls claims court, I think you can represent yourself there without a solicitor.
          Last edited by sbakoola; 17 September 2014, 22:24.

Comment

Chargeback

Comment

Why don't you tell us if said company is based in a UK jurisdiction for starters.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                Why don't you tell us if said company is based in a UK jurisdiction for starters.
                Or, given that the OP states that the merchant said that he posted it Royal Mail - which is only possible within the UK - we could assume that to be the case, no?

(Neg rep available for those who post crap about the Isle of Man and suchlike places not being, strictly speaking, part of the UK per se, and other such irrelevant crap.)

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Or, given that the OP states that the merchant said that he posted it Royal Mail - which is only possible within the UK - we could assume that to be the case, no?

(Neg rep available for those who post crap about the Isle of Man and suchlike places not being, strictly speaking, part of the UK per se, and other such irrelevant crap.)
                  Ah, good one. Although the salesman could just be making it up. Assuming the telephone number provided is a UK one then its a pretty good chance it is in the UK, however OP should confirm all of this.

Comment

You're supposed to get paid for a potboiler and you're doing it for free.

Comment

Working...
                    X