• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Delays setting up bank account

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delays setting up bank account

Hi,

I've been contracting for a year under an umbrella company and with a change of contract decided to set up on my own. Didn't have much luck with Barclays, currently got an account set-up in progress with Lloyds, but it's been four weeks already and might be another two to three weeks depending on how long their compliance checks take.

In the meantime I've been working on the new contract for six weeks and can't get paid for it yet!

Has anyone else experienced delays in getting bank accounts set up? Is this normal?

Thanks

Dan
    • The meaning of life is to give life meaning
    • Worrying about tomorrow spoils today

It is common at the moment unfortunately, most of the banks seem to have a backlog of applications and the turnaround is often more than what they advertise it to be.

We refer a lot of our clients onto Cater Allen, and a lot of the forum users use them aswell. They are generally able to open the account in 5-10 days.

I hope this helps.

Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Martin at NixonWilliams View Post
      It is common at the moment unfortunately, most of the banks seem to have a backlog of applications and the turnaround is often more than what they advertise it to be.

We refer a lot of our clients onto Cater Allen, and a lot of the forum users use them aswell. They are generally able to open the account in 5-10 days.

I hope this helps.

Martin
      They will close it as fast as well if they don't want you
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the replies, they've allocated me an account number even though the account isn't active yet, so I'm taking that as a step in the right direction. I'll be really gutted if they turn me down as I'll be right back at square one and starting to run out of savings...
        • The meaning of life is to give life meaning
        • Worrying about tomorrow spoils today

Comment

Originally posted by DannyF1966 View Post
          Thanks for the replies, they've allocated me an account number even though the account isn't active yet, so I'm taking that as a step in the right direction. I'll be really gutted if they turn me down as I'll be right back at square one and starting to run out of savings...
          Why do you expect to be turned down?

Comment

Account in minutes

There are banks out there that will open a business bank account for you in a matter of minutes. They'll give you an account number and sort code there and then. A quick Google should enable you to find such a bank.

The only time that out clients have experienced problems with these banks are when you have moved address recently, which makes the electronic KYC check fail.

Let us know how you're getting on with your account opening.

Comment

My wife opened a business bank account with HSBC day before yesterday, in an hour and walked out with an account number. Fantastic service.
              I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Agree does seem to be very common. Most banks not particularly interested in new small business clients it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
                  Agree does seem to be very common. Most banks not particularly interested in new small business clients it seems.
                  +1 i think it depends sometimes on the banks or business manager you get as when computer say no for an address fail they do not know what to do!! (so some of my clients say)

Comment

Working...
                  X