• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Let the fighting begin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let the fighting begin

Those canny Scots eh? So whats going to happen now? The Westminster clique prior to the referendum made a number of promises that would grant further powers and money to Scotland if they voted no, which they went and did. Now they have to answer to their promises because if they don't then there will be hell to pay and as it stands they're digging their own graves if they carry out these promises with the people of the rest of the Union. Why should Scotland get this and not us you hear them cry. Already there are growing signs in the back-rooms and corridors of Westminster that those in charge are going to either have to water down their promises or renege on them completely and with a general election next year could make life difficult for all 3 major political parties. As it seems likely that Scotland won't get their promises fulfilled they're going to feel lied to and a Scotsman has a long memory, which I believe could sound the death knell for the Conservatives in Scotland although if they do keep their end of the bargain then it won't look good for them in the rest of the Union, in fact I suspect that the minority parties, Greens, Ukip, etc. are currently rubbing their hands in glee. Personally I think Westminster will water down their promises and renege on other deals, sorry Scotland but England has lied to you again
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

United States of Britain?

Comment

I get the feeling the Scots won't get all they were promised. And a lot of it will be to do with rubbing it in with Salmond. Wonder what Camoron said to him when they spoke. My opening line would have been LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEERRRRRRR

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        United States of Britain?
        Ah, I think "United" might be a misnomer.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
          I get the feeling the Scots won't get all they were promised. And a lot of it will be to do with rubbing it in with Salmond. Wonder what Camoron said to him when they spoke. My opening line would have been LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEERRRRRRR
          "You should have gone to Eton"?

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
            I do hope they do get what they were promised - it could get quite messy if they don't...
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I don't see how they can give the Scots give Devo Max and not address the issue of Scottish MPs voting on England only issues. Cameron said as much this morning. The problem is labour would never agree as it would mean that even if they had a majority in Westminster, on England only issues they could find themselves in a minority. It'll be interesting to see how they square this one.

Comment

Perhaps Dave, Nick and Millibean will just resign, and then the promises wont need to be kept?

Comment

Cameron was pretty clear this morning: more power for Wales, and a change to the way England is governed, and on the "same timetable" as further devolution in Scotland. I don't think he'll go back on that, but whether he can deliver it is a different issue. The LibDems are probably in agreement, but he may still need to win over Labour.

It could be interesting if Labour win the next General Election, but with the Scottish MPs required to leave the room when English affairs are voted for, the Conservatives have a majority.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    Cameron was pretty clear this morning: more power for Wales, and a change to the way England is governed, and on the "same timetable" as further devolution in Scotland

The Tories could do well out of this.

If they manage to exclude the Scots & Welsh MP's voting on English matters then even if they lose a UK election they will still be able to influence and sometimes even control the English political agenda.

Delivering an "English Parliament for English voters" should limit the damage UKIP can do.

Salmond and Nationalists are back in their box for another 30 years and next time the SNP's main economic argument about "We have lots oil and its our oil" will be moot.

The "Close call" should strengthen the UK's hand in negotiating with Europe.

Unemployment is back down to 2008 levels and falling.

The economy is on the up.

Comment

Working...
                    X