• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone ever done a floor screed before?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever done a floor screed before?

Is there much to it?

Just can't find anyone to do my sitting room floor for me. I want some kind of parquet flooring but the surface isn't currently sufficiently level.

Originally posted by zoco View Post
    Is there much to it?

Just can't find anyone to do my sitting room floor for me. I want some kind of parquet flooring but the surface isn't currently sufficiently level.
    I'm guessing you only want workmen of pure Anglo-Saxon stock?

Comment

Assuming it is just a matter of getting a level onto an existing screed:-
      Buy some self levelling compound and pour it in one corner, it should be the correct constituency to flow and find it's own level thereby even out the floor
      Last edited by Troll; 20 September 2014, 22:35. Reason: skoolboy error
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

It also might be handy to pick up a 2m 2by4 and a handle... fit the handle in the middle (for balance) and "tap tap tap" the screed to remove air bubbles and help it flow
        Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

Comment

Thought this was going to be about delivering a diatribe from the floor of a debating chamber

Comment

Dead easy mate. Latex self levelling screed. Mix it and pour.

Get one or two of those rubber buckets a mixing paddle and an old drill to mix up.
            http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Just be warned self-levelling latex is as much of a misnomer as Plug N Play, most of the time its fine but every so often it all goes horrendously wrong..

Things to consider:

How uneven is the floor (some products won’t work over great differences)

What is the current floor make up (some products don’t sit well on some substrates)

What flooring are you putting on top (see above)

How thick is the latex & proposed flooring (make it all too thick & you won’t be able to open doors)

Do you have skirting & is it going to be removed when the floor is laid, if so you need to remove when doing the screed or you will have a big gap

If taking to the wall remember to leave a small (3-5mm) gap for floor / wall expansion joint

Check the product: some screeds need a certain heat to cure, some emit fumes, and some have humidity issues

Are you able to not use the room during the curing period.

I would suggest that you get the people laying the new floor to do the screed.

Think liabilities if your screed is not level & a parquet floor will show it up; the floor layers can then say the substrate violates the warranty conditions.
              Growing old is mandatory
              Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
                Just be warned self-levelling latex is as much of a misnomer as Plug N Play, most of the time its fine but every so often it all goes horrendously wrong..

Things to consider:

How uneven is the floor (some products won’t work over great differences)

What is the current floor make up (some products don’t sit well on some substrates)

What flooring are you putting on top (see above)

How thick is the latex & proposed flooring (make it all too thick & you won’t be able to open doors)

Do you have skirting & is it going to be removed when the floor is laid, if so you need to remove when doing the screed or you will have a big gap

If taking to the wall remember to leave a small (3-5mm) gap for floor / wall expansion joint

Check the product: some screeds need a certain heat to cure, some emit fumes, and some have humidity issues

Are you able to not use the room during the curing period.

I would suggest that you get the people laying the new floor to do the screed.

Think liabilities if your screed is not level & a parquet floor will show it up; the floor layers can then say the substrate violates the warranty conditions.
                Put the kettle on love ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  Put the kettle on love ;-)
                  Growing old is mandatory
                  Growing up is optional

Comment

Working...
                  X