• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where is the insomnia thread?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is the insomnia thread?

OK, this is the scenario, I've been diagnosed with ulcerative Colitis and prescribed with steroids.

This has a couple of side effects in that I don't need sleep, secondly, my concentration/attention span has been incremented to the n'th degree.

Seriously, I'm on top of the world ma!

However, this now means I possibly have a dependence on my steroids which ever way you look at it is not good.

Moral dilemma, should I continue on the steroids or suffer the inevitable come down as my course of steroids is reduced?

Based on the evidence above I've deduced that possibly I've had a hormone deficiency for quite a few years, how do I convince the quack that I'm really a 6ft 8"n bloke and need to sort this tulip out?

Rip the piss, or offer constructive advice, up to you.

Spod in "suity01" mode!

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Moral dilemma, should I continue on the steroids or suffer the inevitable come down as my course of steroids is reduced?

Based on the evidence above I've deduced that possibly I've had a hormone deficiency for quite a few years, how do I convince the quack that I'm really a 6ft 8"n bloke and need to sort this tulip out?
    Steroids should never be taken for too long. The risks far outweigh the initial benefits.

Stick to alcohol....

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
      Steroids should never be taken for too long. The risks far outweigh the initial benefits.

Stick to alcohol....

Thanks

What I don't understand is the increase in my concentration levels. It's ******* amazing.

Since I started my steroid course I can wake at 3:00 on a Monday, drive to work, arrive at 7:00. Put some serious effort in, go to my apartment darn sarf without a yawn after putting 11 hours in the office. It really is ******* amazing!
      Last edited by Churchill; 22 September 2014, 01:48.

Comment

Thanks

What I don't understand is the increase in my concentration levels. It's ******* amazing.

Since I started my steroid course I can wake at 3:00 on a Monday, drive to work, arrive at 7:00. Put some serious effort in, go to my apartment darn sarf without a yawn after putting 11 hours in the office. It really is ******* amazing!
        Corticosteroids make you feel energised, so the bulk of any dose should be given in the morning to mimic the body's normal diurnal rhythm.

From your description of its effects, it sounds like you're taking it before you go to bed.

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
          Corticosteroids make you feel energised, so the bulk of any dose should be given in the morning to mimic the body's normal diurnal rhythm.

From your description of its effects, it sounds like you're taking it before you go to bed.
          Nope, started with 8 per day(distributed evenly), week 1 then 7 per day per week 2 reducing 1 per day per week until it's 1 per day and then fini!

The last time I had this much energy was when I was serving in the Marines and that's 20 years ago!

So, how do I convince the quack that I've had an (admittedly self diagnosed) hormone deficiency?

Comment

Blood tests as a starter?

Interesting one - there's lots of anecdotal evidence about adrenal fatigue, but little/no medical validation, except the extreme version which is addison's disease.

I've been permanently knackered for my entire adult life, a lot better for the last couple of years since I started thyroid treatment, but still nowhere near what I'd consider to be normal (judging self against friends of a similar age).

One of the issues is that the range of normal values for blood tests is pretty wide - what might be normal for a 5'2" woman might not be for a 6'8" bloke.

Sorry to hear about the illness. Sounds nasty.

Comment

So, how do I convince the quack that I've had an (admittedly self diagnosed) hormone deficiency?
              Not having a clue what what ulcerative Colitis is myself, how do you arrive at the diagnosis of hormone deficiency?

Is your height a clue? I.e. did you suddenly sprout during your teens more than would have been expected given your parents' / relatives' stature?

Last question 'cos I'm thinking of a lass who I worked with last year - suddenly sprouted to 6 foot during her teens and at the age of 23 is staring physical disability in the face

Get a second opinion?
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Bloody smack heads.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                  Not having a clue what what ulcerative Colitis is myself, how do you arrive at the diagnosis of hormone deficiency?
                  I'm guessing the disease is incidental. It's the fact that the steroids have given him loads of energy that has made him realise how little energy he's normally got.

Either that, or he can't get it up any more...

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post

Is your height a clue? I.e. did you suddenly sprout during your teens more than would have been expected given your parents' / relatives' stature?

Last question 'cos I'm thinking of a lass who I worked with last year - suddenly sprouted to 6 foot during her teens and at the age of 23 is staring physical disability in the face

Get a second opinion?
                    My Dad was 6ft 2, my mother is 5ft 9, her brother 6ft 4", my brother is 6ft 4" and fortunately I don't have thyroid problems so I grew tall progressively through my youth.

The ulcerative colitis is manageable with medication and I've had all the tests - and I mean all of the tests. So a massive course of steroids and anti-inflammatory to base line and then it'll be managed with medication over the rest of my life. Fortunately they've done biopsies and checked for the Big "C" and I'm clear :-) so, could've been worse.

Comment

Working...
                    X