• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Office working

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Office working

Finding working in an office especially as a contractor is becoming dull and tedious. Most office environments make zero effort to make new people/contractors feel included especially if you are the only one. Best contracts I have had are when I started at the same time with a bunch of other contractors or work from home.

They probably just don't want to make YOU feel included after you bored them all silly with a 10 minute rant about Scotland when they said "Hi, I'm Ben."
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
      Finding working in an office especially as a contractor is becoming dull and tedious. Most office environments make zero effort to make new people/contractors feel included especially if you are the only one. Best contracts I have had are when I started at the same time with a bunch of other contractors or work from home.
      Learn to integrate then, be nice and talk to them.

Since returning to contracting (so 2 and a bit years over 3 contracts):-

first contract had lunch daily with the permies on the team. Still see them when in the area
      second contract usually went for lunch with a contractor and the permies. Happily chatted with them
      current contract the same. Some of the permies have a big interest in agile so I have introduced them to the agile meetups organised by some people from the first contract (above).
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        Learn to integrate then, be nice and talk to them.

Since returning to contracting (so 2 and a bit years over 3 contracts):-

first contract had lunch daily with the permies on the team. Still see them when in the area
        second contract usually went for lunch with a contractor and the permies. Happily chatted with them
        current contract the same. Some of the permies have a big interest in agile so I have introduced them to the agile meetups organised by some people from the first contract (above).

Think it's just this place, it's only a 4 week contract So can't be bothered when I know I will be gone next week, plus I am not in any team and my manager is never around and didn't introduce me to anyone, as well as hot desks. Last few have been fine went lunching with permies and contractors as well. Made friends for years with some of them.

Comment

Never had a problem with having to work on site whether working with permies or contractors, guess I'm just a likeable fellow
          In Scooter we trust

Comment

Think it's just this place, it's only a 4 week contract So can't be bothered when I know I will be gone next week, plus I am not in any team and my manager is never around and didn't introduce me to anyone, as well as hot desks. Last few have been fine went lunching with permies and contractors as well. Made friends for years with some of them.
            I think you're a big enough lad to introduce yourself aren't you?
            In Scooter we trust

Comment

That's data entry for you.

Comment

Are you working with the perfidious English or with treacherous Scots?

But... you are your own boss so it is your job to make yourself feel included in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                  I think you're a big enough lad to introduce yourself aren't you?
                  I prefer it to happen naturally, don't bound around the office announcing myself like some mental case. I hate small talk also which is what office conversations consist of, guess I am one of the crazy ones .

Comment

I prefer it to happen naturally, don't bound around the office announcing myself like some mental case.
                    Well it works perfectly for me
                    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Working...
                    X