• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Porsche 911 2nd hand is it worth it ? why do many sell them

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porsche 911 2nd hand is it worth it ? why do many sell them

Porsche 911 2nd hand is it worth it ? why do many sell them on after a short period of ownership ??

Is it because of high fuel consumption ? is it because the aggro they get from people ? or is it because the novelty soon wears off ?

would a 1991 911 Porcshe last the distance ? or is it for the scrapyard

Would like to know the answer too

30K seems to buy a decent one.
    Mind you for that money, I would rather buy a boat when it comes to having a life-afirming toy!
    One good adage I've heard is that the most expensive car you buy will be the cheapest.

Comment

Re: Porsche 911 2nd hand is it worth it ? why do many sell t

I think it's car that can scare alot of people,especially if coming from FWD. They are particularly tail happy . But build wise they are buillet proof. The engines will do intergallactic milleages if well cared for. The bodywork is gallvanised so they keep well. I guess you'd be looking at 15k plus?

Comment

Hmmm

High on contract money, no responsibilities and 'I always wanted one' I blew a considerable sum on a 2 year old 911 Targa.
        Points to note - everyone has an opinion about the car, you and what will happen. e.g. you cant afford it, you will crash it, someone will nick it etc. All rubbish but there you go.
        No matter how fast you are going it will be happy to go faster and you will back off before it will.
        Don't break it whatever you do (yes they do break), I had a couple of problems and they cost a fortune, so does a service (few extras soon means a grand bill), tyres, insurance, tracker they insist on.
        Women - if you mention it you are flash git, but they quite like it, even if they pretend they don't.
        Novelty does wear off, every other car on the road is too slow, they dont like going slow so traffic jams are hard work.
        You have to 'drive' the car all the time, cruising along is not an option, great when you are blasting along a deserted road but not great for everyday commute (get the auto, trust me).
        They are tail happy, but after the first spin on a wet roundabout you learn to brake in a straight line and power out of bends.
        On the road, people look but they also let you out (I do myself to get a better look at the car).
        After a few months its 'just a car', best feeling is getting a new car, by choice a new 'different but good' car every 6 months would be more fun.
        Dont believe the road tests, yeah if you are getting a car for a couple of hours in wales or on a track, you want the most extreme possible and will love it, different over months or years in all conditions.
        You will lose money on it (unless you get brand new and sell for instant premium) percentage wise not too bad but 40% of 50k is a lot of candy. Also, limited market for them so selling aint always easy, people want them mint and would rather pay much more to a dealer.
        Hate to put you off, I dont regret having mine and am glad I did it when I had chance and got it 'out of my system'. Reduced and different circumstances mean I have a Golf now and I love it and the feeling of not worrying about where I leave it (as much) !!
        Best scenario, something practical (e.g. golf) and something mad (elise, vx220 etc).
        Good luck whatever you decide.

Comment

Life is too short

Great account of "I always wanted a porche" - thank you.

I wish I could justify buying one as the cost of the car is probably worth it for the memories.

I have a Golf now and I love it and the feeling of not worrying about where I leave it
          Seems to sum up what is ultimately more important - peace of mind

Comment

Re: Porsche 911 2nd hand is it worth it ? why do many sell t

I'd like one too,

but it looks like I am destined for one in my later thirties as the Benes plan is to build a solid financial foundation before investing in toys

I don't want to be one of these who has had the toys in their younger days but is skint in their mid forties !

looks like it's the Octavia for a few more years

Milan.

Comment

Happen to agree

I guess thats why you see young chaps or oldies driving the nice ones - with thirty somethings driving the porche "bangers" - sorry classics!

Comment

Re: Happen to agree

Not another damn Porsche on the roads being driven at 39mph in all conditions!

Porsche driving bastards - if you must all drive like little old ladies, kindly stop hogging the middle of country roads, it makes it difficult to overtake in my Maestro van!

Comment

...the thing I hate about Porsche drivers are those old fashioned hats they wear.

Comment

mmm lovely

IMHO the wheels on the early 90s car look horrid

Comment

Working...
                    X