• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scientists acting like Priests

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scientists acting like Priests

BBC News - Brian Cox: 'Multiverse' makes sense

I do hate it when Scientists cross over to the religious side.

I accept that Mr Cox has a right to believe in multiverse. And that he may be right - I am open minded.

But to say it "makes sense". Who can back that up?

Its a matter of faith.

Before I even clicked the link to this, I knew it was that Brian 'Creepy Smile' Cox. He simply doesn't explain theories properly and waffles on using buzzwords. I remember science documentaries like say Horizon being far more informative but this guy is the spokesperson for the mass dumbing down of the U.K. scientific education.

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
      Before I even clicked the link to this, I knew it was that Brian 'Creepy Smile' Cox. He simply doesn't explain theories properly and waffles on using buzzwords. I remember science documentaries like say Horizon being far more informative but this guy is the spokesperson for the mass dumbing down of the U.K. scientific education.
      Everyone on TV has to be photogenic. Never mind about the content. Same with Presidents and Prime Ministers.

But, still, he has a PHD.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        BBC News - Brian Cox: 'Multiverse' makes sense

I do hate it when Scientists cross over to the religious side.

I accept that Mr Cox has a right to believe in multiverse. And that he may be right - I am open minded.

But to say it "makes sense". Who can back that up?

Its a matter of faith.
        It does make (formal) sense because it is ultimately based on simple statistics, as compelling as the statistics behind thermodynamics which nobody in their right minds would dispute.

It also leads to the same predictions as the conventional Copenhagen Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics but without the latter's arbitrary assumptions, in particular the mysterious collapse of the wave function.

Also, Brian Cox isn't the only physicist who leans toward the Many Worlds theory these days. Among others, Sean Carroll is also a convert - 2014-06-30 Why the Many-Worlds Formulation of Quantum Mechanics Is Probably Correct

A good summary of the theory can be found here. Everett himself called his theory the Relative State formulation of QM. It was someone called Bryce de Witt, an enthusiastic supporter, who later called it the Many Worlds theory.

Despite its apparently insane extravagence and its implications for free will, both of which repel many physicists and laypeople alike, it does make sense in a way that reality is ultimately a multiverse where everything that can happen does.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Might as well just begin teaching all those science fiction books in classrooms then, and remove the "fiction" bit. Or who knows, keep it and take out the science bit.

Comment

Many world's theory can be proven with some theoretical maths.

But I think cox used to be quite watchable he does now seem to pontificate a bit these days.

Comment

How do you mean "proven"? What sort of assumptions come into play? I'm not hostile to the idea, I am just at a loss as to how this sort of thing is proven.

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
                You can't blame him solely for Horizon being dumbed down. Michael Mosley has also helped a lot........
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
                  How do you mean "proven"? What sort of assumptions come into play? I'm not hostile to the idea, I am just at a loss as to how this sort of thing is proven.
                  Proven in that certain theories can be explained if multi verses exist

I am not an expert but I have seen text books with the proof but the actual calculations were a touch beyond me

:$

Comment

How is this a matter of faith? He's suggesting that the idea makes sense based on what we do know (the exact opposite of faith) - or at least what he thinks that we do know.

And 'makes sense' doesn't mean definitely true.

The idea that time passes at different 'rates' depending on your altitude (from earths centre of gravity) would have sounded just as unintuitive a little ever 100 years ago - yet now you casually make use of that knowledge every time you use your sat-nav.

Comment

Working...
                    X