• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Virgin? Take as long as you like.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virgin? Take as long as you like.

An interesting idea although I'm not sure there isn't a slightly ominous overtone to the way he describes it...

BBC News - Virgin's Richard Branson offers staff unlimited holiday
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    An interesting idea although I'm not sure there isn't a slightly ominous overtone to the way he describes it...

BBC News - Virgin's Richard Branson offers staff unlimited holiday
    Sounds like zero hours contracts. Unless the time off is paid? Then it sounds a great idea. I've always wondered how many hours the average worker actually works a week, im guessing 15 hours, the rest is looking busy, chatting or surfing.
    Last edited by Unix; 25 September 2014, 07:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
      Sounds like zero hours contracts. Unless the time off is paid? Then it sounds a great idea. I've always wondered how many hours the average worker actually works a week, im guessing 15 hours, the rest is looking busy, chatting or surfing.
      Its for salaried workers (most of whom are well paid).

The idea comes from Netflix and is perfectly rational. As an employee you have 2 responsibilities, 1 to your company, 1 to your family. Why let someone dictate when you took holiday when in reality most people do their best to keep both sides happy.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        Its for salaried workers (most of whom are well paid).

The idea comes from Netflix and is perfectly rational. As an employee you have 2 responsibilities, 1 to your company, 1 to your family. Why let someone dictate when you took holiday when in reality most people do their best to keep both sides happy.
        Agreed.

Lots of permies without children don't bother taking all their holiday allocation until they are told they will lose it. So in November/December lots of people are not around. If they weren't told they would lose their holidays they wouldn’t take them.

On the other hand you have people who have children under 12 who need to take most of the summer off. These people want to keep their company happy so will work harder at other times as they know they can't get a job like this elsewhere.

So the company wins as long as they have staff of different ages and at different times of their life.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
        X