• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BP cannot claw back 'excessive' gulf spill payments

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our special friend continue to shaft in that special place. Bless. Would you like to go to war with us now in Iraq?

I think I should have put in a claim myself.

BBC News - BP cannot claw back 'excessive' gulf spill payments

25 September 2014 Last updated at 07:57 GMT
    The Deepwater Horizon burnsEleven men were killed aboard the Deepwater Horizon rig when it exploded on 20 April 2010
    BP will not be able to recoup any payments it made in compensation for the Gulf of Mexico oil spill, a judge has ruled.

The oil giant has challenged claims amounting to hundreds of millions of dollars, which it says were inflated and illegitimate.

But a federal judge has ruled that the company must stand by the payments.

BP had argued that nearly 800 business had received excessive payments under a flawed funding formula.

"BP disagrees with today's decision and will appeal it," company spokesman Geoff Morrell said.

"We asked the court, as a matter of equity and fairness, to order the return of excessive payments."

No clawback
    One construction company hundreds of miles inland was paid $13.2m (£8m). BP says it deserved no more than $4.8m.

A company selling animals and animal skins received $14m more than it should have, according to BP.

However, US District Judge Carl Barbier in New Orleans ruled that the compensation already paid could not be clawed back.

The courts have previously agreed that the formula used to calculate compensation payments was flawed and had resulted in over-generous payouts.

BP had hoped that would mean that the payments made before the rules were tightened could be revisited.

But the original compensation deals included an "individual release" clause ensuring there could be no future court action to alter the payments.

The company has paid more than $42bn so far since the disaster in 2010, which killed 11 men and spread oil over seafood grounds, coastal marshes and beaches.

BP originally expected the payouts to reach $7.8bn.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

I read of some 'fishermen' who got compensation lived hundreds of miles from the sea where it happened

Comment

Working...
    X