• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Saw a robbery today

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw a robbery today

Eltham High Street. 10:40am.

Going from Church to swimming. With twins. Suddenly man runs to car - grabs black plastic bags out of car. A man shouts stop from behind me. Man with plastic bags is running across road. I gave chase. Man with bags is into car and off.

I get number and call police. They are there in 5 minutes - most of it is on CCTV. Black bags contain £2000+ of ciggies. A shop owner had been to bestway. Probably followed from there.

I hope they get caught. But probably not. 1000/1 the car is nicked.

It was stupid of me to give chase. In this part of town knives and guns are common. But one just cannot help oneself.

Where was my batman suit when I needed it?

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Going from Church to swimming. With twins. Suddenly man runs to car - grabs black plastic bags out of car. A man shouts stop from behind me. Man with plastic bags is running across road. I gave chase. Man with bags is into car and off.

I get number and call police. They are there in 5 minutes - most of it is on CCTV. Black bags contain £2000+ of ciggies. A shop owner had been to bestway. Probably followed from there.

It was stupid of me to give chase. In this part of town knives and guns are common. But one just cannot help oneself.

Batman? Tony Stark Shirley?

What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I caught a robber at Tescos a few years back. Saw him evade the dopey security bods (3 of them!) 'ambushing' him at the exit, so I casually adjusted my course to steer me towards the path I knew he'd be running through and clothes-lined him out of the blue as he ran right past me. Held onto him until the security guys caught up, and then carried on eating my sandwich on the walk home.

I'm still waiting for my medal.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
        I caught a robber at Tescos a few years back. Saw him evade the dopey security bods (3 of them!) 'ambushing' him at the exit, so I casually adjusted my course to steer me towards the path I knew he'd be running through and clothes-lined him out of the blue as he ran right past me. Held onto him until the security guys caught up, and then carried on eating my sandwich on the walk home.

I'm still waiting for my medal.
        Poor bloke was probably desperate, out of work, kids at home crying for a jam sandwich, can't pay the rent, about to be evicted and some ******* have a go hero just makes it worse. :
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Batman? Tony Stark Shirley?

I remember what happened to my Batman costume. You borrowed it and it is too stretched to wear. When are you buying me a new one?

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            Poor bloke was probably desperate, out of work, kids at home crying for a jam sandwich, can't pay the rent, about to be evicted and some ******* have a go hero just makes it worse. :
            Theft is theft. If he wants to blame someone he can blame anyone who votes in governments that support minimum-wage policies

His bag looked like it was full of DVDs or games in those security boxes that they used to use. To be fair I just took him out because he looked like a scallywag.

Comment

You go to church??
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Eltham has always been bad...
                Join IPSE

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  You go to church??
                  I went to get the kids into faith school. I then worked out that the priest cares ONLY about money. So I did an IM to raise sponsorship. CUK contributed alot. So I have to thank you all for getting my kids a good education.

Originally posted by Alias View Post
                  There has always been violence and robberies in Eltham. It used to be working class - honest and upstanding. But at least it was not full of chavs and has some decent shops. Now it is pawn shops, slot machines, poundland. A few decent cafes there.

I am not sure it will ever recover from Stephen Lawrence. A pity as only a tiny minority are racist. But what happened to him was a huge tragedy.

Comment

Originally posted by Alias View Post
                    Yes a real hotbed of crime compared to Brixton, Moss Side, Toxteth and well, anywhere up North really

Comment

Working...
                    X