• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Choices choices.. public or private sector contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choices choices.. public or private sector contract

I'm the proud winner of 2 contract offers

1) private sector, 6 months, tulip commute (almost 2 hours into the city)
    2) public sector, 6 months, commute of about 25 mins

Both on same day rate.

The public sector one obviously appeals for the commute. My previous 2 contracts were both over 1.5 hours each way so I'd appreciate having some of my life back.

But I've never done an 'actual' public sector contract before, having only been at a few large consultancies facing the public sector.

What does the panel think? Any warnings?
    Am I going to be drinking a lot of tea, and not getting much done whilst my brain slowly rots away?

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post

Both on same day rate.

The public sector one obviously appeals for the commute. My previous 2 contracts were both over 1.5 hours each way so I'd appreciate having some of my life back.

But I've never done an 'actual' public sector contract before, having only been at a few large consultancies facing the public sector.

Am I going to be drinking a lot of tea, and not getting much done whilst my brain slowly rots away?
    Asking what the public sector is like is a bit like asking what the private sector is like. Is it:

Central government
    Local government
    NHS
    Police
    Quango?

Etc. etc.

Comment

Both on same day rate.

Show off
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Where is the poll?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          Asking what the public sector is like is a bit like asking what the private sector is like. Is it:

Central government
          Local government
          NHS
          Police
          Quango?

Etc. etc.
          its a Quango

Comment

its a Quango
            Definitely do it and make sure you bring your own cafetiere and also walking boots for lunchtime if the scenery is nice. Consider taking on some separate part-time consultancy that you can do while on site.

Comment

Both on same day rate.

NHS BI Contractor here.

Everything takes ages to change, bureaucracy is a nightmare. Brain slowly rotting. However rate and commute are great.

Lots of tea drank.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Tasslehoff View Post
                  NHS BI Contractor here.

Everything takes ages to change, bureaucracy is a nightmare. Brain slowly rotting. However rate and commute are great.

Lots of tea drank.
                  That's my experience of PS too!
                  Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

People expect results in the private sector, which actually means woking and no messing about on cUK. Public sector you can doss about all day and blame the error of your ways on someone else and still get paid.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X