• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you give up your eldest for free WiFi ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you give up your eldest for free WiFi ?

Since there is another parent/child responsibility thread going at the moment I thought this article was fitting:

Britons sign away first-born children for free Wi-Fi

Several Britons agreed to give up their eldest child in return for the use of free wifi, in an experiment to highlight the dangers of public Internet, published on Monday.

Londoners were asked to agree to terms and conditions as they logged on to use free wifi in a cafe in a busy financial district and at a site close to the houses of parliament.

The terms included a "Herod clause", under which the wifi was provided only if "the recipient agreed to assign their first born child to us for the duration of eternity".

In the short period the terms and conditions were live, six people signed up.

"As this is an experiment, we will be returning the children to their parents," said the tech security firm that ran the experiment, F-Secure.

The experiment was aimed to highlight "the total disregard for computer security by people when they are mobile" the report said.

Germany ethical hacking company SySS built the device used in the study: a mobile wifi hotspot small enough to be carried in a handbag for around 200 euros ($254).

In just 30 minutes, 250 devices connected to the hotspot -- some of them doing so automatically due to their settings.

The company was able to collect the text of emails they sent, the email addresses of the sender and recipient, and the password of the sender.

The head of Europol's European Cybercrime Centre told the study they already had reports of criminals using free wifi to steal personal data.

"At best, your device is only leaking information about you; at worst, your passwords are being spilled into a publicly accessible space... anybody on the network can see your information," said F-Secure Security Advisor Sean Sullivan.
    But really, who ever reads the T&Cs ? I've accepted ones in foreign languages when I can work out where the connect button is.

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    Since there is another parent/child responsibility thread going at the moment I thought this article was fitting:

Britons sign away first-born children for free Wi-Fi

But really, who ever reads the T&Cs ? I've accepted ones in foreign languages when I can work out where the connect button is.
    Who ever reads their contracts? Just sign - it is bound to be okay....

Comment

Nah, the contract comparison is a straw man. People will always skim read at least to check rate, duration.

Not reading web T&Cs does have real risks. And I say that as a reluctant member of Amazon Prime for another 51 weeks.

EDIT: Nice stunt, though.
      Last edited by I just need to test it; 30 September 2014, 11:01.

Comment

isn't there a law or something which generally means that just because it is in the contract it is not legally binding it if is quite clearly against the basic premise of what the contract is for.

So in this case signing up for free wifi would not normally involve giving your first born away and so this clause is null and void.

In addition the word 'free' implies there is no charge.

Comment

Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
          Nah, the contract comparison is a straw man. People will always skim read at least to check rate, duration.

Not reading web T&Cs does have real risks. And I say that as a reluctant member of Amazon Prime for another 51 weeks.

So, so glad it's not just me.
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            isn't there a law or something which generally means that just because it is in the contract it is not legally binding it if is quite clearly against the basic premise of what the contract is for.
            Plus contract terms are not legally binding if they're plain illegal, as for example giving away your first born.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

So in this case signing up for free wifi would not normally involve giving your first born away and so this clause is null and void.

In addition the word 'free' implies there is no charge.
              A premise of contract law is that (even if both parties agreed) it can’t break the law & I do believe child slavery is a bit naughty.

As for terms within a contract that go against the premise of the contract: if both parties agree its fine.
              Growing old is mandatory
              Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                Plus contract terms are not legally binding if they're plain illegal, as for example giving away your first born.
                Which is often the reason why nobody reads the T&C's for free stuff.

Those who ended up signed up for Prime have no sympathy from me though.

Comment

And I say that as a reluctant member of Amazon Prime for another 51 weeks.

Me too!

Comment

And I say that as a reluctant member of Amazon Prime for another 51 weeks..
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                    So, so glad it's not just me.
                    Originally posted by RasputinDude View Post
                    Me too!
                    suckers

Comment

Working...
                    X