• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows 10

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 10

BBC News - Microsoft unveils Windows 10 system with Start Menu

So they took the start menu away then put it back and that produced two versions of windows?

Sent from Arch Linux

windows 8 as it should have been.

8 isn't bad once you add the start menu and switch the worst of the nags off. nice & stable.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
      So they took the start menu away then put it back and that produced two versions of windows?

They should have called it the 'rewind' button.

They'll be lining up to pay for the business flavour or student edition or whatever.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Snap enhancements - a new "quadrant layout" will allow four apps to be easily arranged on the same screen
        Didn't we have that in Windows 3.0 and 3.1(1)?
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Turns out this April Fools joke was closer to the mark than they realised

Microsoft skips 'too good' Windows 9, jumps to Windows 10 | InfoWorld

Comment

It's so that businesses can upgrade. Windows 7 to 8 was never going to happen.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

8 isn't bad once you add the start menu and switch the worst of the nags off. nice & stable.
              Only issues I have with 8 was the 8.1 upgrade which was a total mess. Also, the search could be better, still don't know why they haven't got this right. The 8.1 upgrade messed up my machine and for months after I had all kinds of mad issues. Had to reinstall from scratch and now its stable.

A big improvement for me would be to integrate the modern ui applications with the desktop better. So the music player for example, rather than have a snap window and run it on the desktop, I would like to run it as a desktop app, resize etc.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                It's so that businesses can upgrade. Windows 7 to 8 was never going to happen.
                I love 8.1 as a user, but it's a pain as an admin. They really forgot enterprise IT when they pushed it out and left us with a whole bunch of crap to faff with. I'm hoping this new one will be a nice combo of 8.1 and 7.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
                  BBC News - Microsoft unveils Windows 10 system with Start Menu

Bit like the UAC cockup in Vista/7 then.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

I don't even mind the start screen. The old fashioned multi-level start-menu seems rather clunky these days. Why on a 27" monitor am I having to navigate my mouse with pixel accuracy in one corner of the screen about 3x3"? It's so easy to pop out of a sub-menu by mistake.

The option to choose would be nice but I prefer just to hit Windows key and start typing what I want... of course you can do that in W7 but it's not as good.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X