• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Source for a mint £2k ultra book

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Source for a mint £2k ultra book

Makes sense to spec up an ultrabook to above £2k (VAT reclaim).

I'm looking for something mint. Fast, light weight, mega storage. And above all >£2k Essentially a MacBook on windows (and no, there is no way in putting that filth on my current MacBook)
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post

I'm looking for something mint. Fast, light weight, mega storage. And above all >£2k Essentially a MacBook on windows (and no, there is no way in putting that filth on my current MacBook)
    Why does it need to be Windows? I have a MacBook with all that grooviness and VirtualBox for any thing that needs a specific OS be it Windows or *nix, that way each project has a new VM when it finishes archive it off on some other storage.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Beware it doesn't bend in your bag!

qh
      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post

Why not buy a Mac and put Windows on it, rather than try and find a clone? Buying Mac makes spending £2k easy as well
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

It's the actual invoice from where you buy it that has to be over 2k IIRC.

Could be wrong tho'

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
            It's the actual invoice from where you buy it that has to be over 2k IIRC.

Could be wrong tho'
            Yes, it has to be a single purchase but isn't restricted to a single item; it can be a package or multiple items from the same supplier.

Doesn't strictly have to be the exact same invoice I don't think (HMRC guidance only states single purchase, not invoice) as long as you can show it was a single purchase (e.g. order confirmation, purchase order etc.) and all from the same supplier - useful as some suppliers ship items in an order separately and issue multiple invoices (*cough* Apple).

Its £2k or more inclusive of VAT too.

I use OS X exclusively but if OP would like a MacBook, just get a MBP and dual boot or run Windows in Parallels or VMWare.
            Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 1 October 2014, 12:00.

Comment

Love the idea of spending £1500 more than you need to so you can save a few per cent on the VAT.

It's a tool, you get the most cost effective one, not the shiniest.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                Love the idea of spending £1500 more than you need to so you can save a few per cent on the VAT.

It's a tool, you get the most cost effective one, not the shiniest.
                if you do lots of intensive stuff, cheap and slow is a false economy, your time has a price.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  There's obviously a cut-off, but if the laptop you want costs close to £2000 + VAT already, it clearly makes sense to spend a bit more in order to get the VAT saving. A £1999 inc. VAT laptop will cost you £1999, a £2000 inc. VAT laptop will cost you £1667, saving you £332. Its only stupid to get a more expensive laptop to save on the VAT if one costing < £1667 will do the job well.

As vetran says, why should I make do with a cheap £500 tulipty laptop when I can have a much better one? We're only talking about a few days work to pay for it.

Comment

Or get a £1700 laptop and £300+ of accessories (dock, kensington lock, vga and lan adaptors, etc, etc), but make sure its all on the same invoice.

Comment

Working...
                    X