• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Geo targeted Apple IOS Virus

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geo targeted Apple IOS Virus

Advanced iOS virus targeting Hong Kong protestors -security firm | Reuters

(Reuters) - Cybersecurity researchers have uncovered a computer virus that spies on Apple Inc's iOS operating system for the iPhone and iPad, and they believe it is targeting pro-democracy protesters in Hong Kong.

The malicious software, known as Xsser, is capable of stealing text messages, photos, call logs, passwords and other data from Apple mobile devices, researchers with Lacoon Mobile Security said on Tuesday.
    So not only do Apple products seemingly get viruses (I am part of the gurning masses that believe it was not possible) but also you can home in on a particular area and specific devices.

I'm guessing the NSA have had this technology for a while, but for me this is new to the wild.

Thoughts?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Nowhere near as hysterical as your usual posting style, must try harder.
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
      Nowhere near as hysterical as your usual posting style, must try harder.
      Forgot to work in the MCaans somehow I suppose

Comment

I'm intrigued to know how this "virus" is spreading as iOS is pretty locked down.

According to the researchers page, it appears your device needs to be jail-broken in order for the device to be compromised, as it uses Cydia to distribute the malware:

https://www.lacoon.com/lacoon-discov...ed-ios-trojan/

So...not a virus, but malware installed through a backdoor that users have to willingly open in the first place. Not quite the same thing.

Comment

Not only does it require the user to jailbreak their phone and install it, it also hasn't actually been seen in the wild, according to its discoverers. They only say they've found a copy on a command & control server used by the Android malware from which it's derived, which has been seen in the wild.

(See the article linked to by TCP above for details.)

EDIT: oh, and I don't see anything to suggest it's a virus, other than somebody at Reuters using the word when they don't know what it means: it's a Remote Access Tool. Nothing in the description of it suggests it can spread itself unaided. (I see Reuters managed to get virus, spyware, malware, and Trojan into the article. I'm pretty sure it's not all of them.)
          Last edited by NickFitz; 1 October 2014, 14:28.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            Can you get rid of it with soap & water like you can with Ebola?

Just asking like.

It's garlic, potatoes and a shower you numpty. Or is that aids? This syphilis has riddled my brain

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Not only does it require the user to jailbreak their phone and install it, it also hasn't actually been seen in the wild, according to its discoverers. They only say they've found a copy on a command & control server used by the Android malware from which it's derived, which has been seen in the wild.

(See the article linked to by TCP above for details.)

EDIT: oh, and I don't see anything to suggest it's a virus, other than somebody at Reuters using the word when they don't know what it means: it's a Remote Access Tool. Nothing in the description of it suggests it can spread itself unaided. (I see Reuters managed to get virus, spyware, malware, and Trojan into the article. I'm pretty sure it's not all of them.)
              I beg to differ. It says it is a trojan, as in it is spread by being disguised as an app, which the user can download. If a virus were to propagate by itself that would be a worm, but a virus can exist without self propagation capability.

The jailbreaking I can't of course disagree with.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                I beg to differ. It says it is a trojan, as in it is spread by being disguised as an app, which the user can download. If a virus were to propagate by itself that would be a worm, but a virus can exist without self propagation capability.

The jailbreaking I can't of course disagree with.

HTH
                You can only downloads apps from Apple tho, unless your iPhone is jail broken...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  You can only downloads apps from Apple tho, unless your iPhone is jail broken...
                  Very good.

Comment

Our resident security expert speaks.

By the way, did I miss the end of the world last week with Shellshock?

Comment

Working...
                    X