• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unboomed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unboomed

Three month gig, 7 days notice after five weeks "after achieving the rush-demo to our prospective customer we are afraid that there is no further need for you in the project's roadmap".

Pimp's reaction "They've done this to me three times now - bringing someone in on a quarter only to drop them after a month".

Shortest contract I've ever had... part of the game but just how common is this sort of stitch up?

Last edited by 7specialgems; 2 October 2014, 13:13.

Seems a tulipty way to do business.

Clearly they know what they are doing if they've done it multiple times.

The work will only be a month or whatever and maybe they assume it will be more difficult to get someone really good for such a short period. so they simply lie to the agent and contractor.

Guessing it's a small company?

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
      Seems a tulipty way to do business.

Clearly they know what they are doing if they've done it multiple times.

The work will only be a month or whatever and maybe they assume it will be more difficult to get someone really good for such a short period. so they simply lie to the agent and contractor.

Guessing it's a small company?
      Top 10 aerospace firm, American outfit. They know the game...

Comment

Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Unlucky, just think about the benefits of being a contractor and it should ease the pain. Assuming you had a decent warchest? Some nice time off perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
            Unlucky, just think about the benefits of being a contractor and it should ease the pain. Assuming you had a decent warchest? Some nice time off perhaps?
            I'm good for 12 months and I'll be taking at last one month off, I think

It's one of those things but the rigmarole of interviewing, IR35 assurance, then really going to ground with the domain and building relationships, only for it to transpire after five weeks that you were never going to be there beyond their Mythical Man Month "throw people at the problem" panic phase, leaves a bad taste.

It's a tulipy practice but it goes with the territory. Just wondered how rife it is...

Comment

Originally posted by 7specialgems View Post
              I'm good for 12 months and I'll be taking at last one month off, I think

It's one of those things but the rigmarole of interviewing, IR35 assurance, then really going to ground with the domain and building relationships, only for it to transpire after five weeks that you were never going to be there beyond their Mythical Man Month "throw people at the problem" panic phase, leaves a bad taste.

It's a tulipy practice but it goes with the territory. Just wondered how rife it is...
              Lockheed by any chance?

Comment

That's the way it goes

I once got taken on by a client for a six month project, but they hired me before it had got final approval. After a week, it was decided to postpone the project for at least six months, so I was suddenly surplus to requirements.

Onwards and upwards!

Comment

It's happened to me. Twice. Once at a major UK corp where they cut 90% of the contractors on site. Latterly Bob-filled as required.

Annoying : but goes with the territory.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    Lockheed by any chance?
                    No, their cousins HQ'd in Virginia.

Comment

Working...
                    X