• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows 10

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 10

Code:
    String os = System.getProperty("os.name");
    if (os.startsWith("Windows 9") || os.equals("Windows Me")) {
        throw new RuntimeException("This provider is not supported on this version of Windows");
    }
    https://searchcode.com/?q=version.st...22Windows+9%22

And this, folks, is why us infrastructure engineers blame programmers for everything.

(And also laugh at threads on here where they struggle with basic OS tasks)

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
      And this, folks, is why us infrastructure engineers blame programmers for everything.

(And also laugh at threads on here where they struggle with basic OS tasks)
      Hey, he optimised away one string comparison and a Boolean OR! I think we can all agree that

Code:
      if (os.equals("Windows 95") || os.equals("Windows 98") || os.equals("Windows Me"))
      would have been an egregious waste of system resources

Comment

It's a bit of a moot point as no version of Windows comes with Java and nobody ever installs it.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          It's a bit of a moot point as no version of Windows comes with Java and nobody ever installs it.
          ...is....is that a joke?

The example happens to be in Java, but I think it's somewhat clear that there will be a myriad of other examples in a multitude of languages and implementations.

Plus, Java, sadly, is ******* everywhere.

Comment

I had a very short term contract last year in a place where the development manager of all people could not get the core product working on his desktop.

When I suggested it was his windows 7 machine he laughed at me, 30 minutes later I found a block of code that discriminated between NT and XP, if it was neither it failed to start up.

It is tulip like that that keeps us in jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              Speak for yourself!
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Speak for yourself!
                Let me correct. It's a bit of a moot point as no version of Windows comes with Java and only d000hg installs it.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I'm glad we got that sorted out.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                  X