• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Milk

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Milk

Have we, as a nation, fallen out of love with milk?

This was a question that crossed my mind as I was cuddled up with OH watching a very inneresting BBC4 documentary about the Cafe Racers of the 50s & 60s and in one of the scenes, filmed inside the Ace Cafe, was something I'd totally forgotten about.

On the counter of the cafe was a clear, plastic tank with a revolving metal paddle stirring the tank's contents which, the sticker on the side of the tank announced, was "Cool Fresh Milk". Every cafe used to have one of these tanks but you just don't see them any more.

When I was young, milk was everywhere; we were told it was full of calcium and good for the teeth and bones and we were all force fed the stuff every morning at school (particularly revolting during the summer months when the school delivery seemed to be at the end of the milkman's round and was half way to butter by the time we got to pierce the foil caps with our straws).

Equally revolting was the mug of warm milk served as a bedtime drink by various relatives I would stay with from time to time - made all the more revolting by the skin that would form on the surface as the drink began to cool. But other than that, I'm a big fan of the great British pinta; no semi skimmed in our household - we always have full fat and occasionally will indulge ourselves in the gold top extra creamy milk made from Jersey cows - particularly nice on a bowl of corn flakes when you get first dibs and get all the cream from the top of the bottle!

I've also lived on farms where I've been able to help myself to the contents of the bulk tank. An endless supply of delicious, creamy unpasteurised milk on tap; cream puddings and the like would abound.

Going back to my original question, though, has milk really fallen from grace with the public? Is it because so many people are lactose intolerant? Is it because people think it's bad for their health owing to its fat content? Is it because it gets a bad press because of the greenhouse gases associated with its production?

Well according to OH (who claims to know a bit about agriculture), milk was never really that popular in the first place. Basically it was all rammed down our throats by the Milk Marketing Board because of overproduction. We've all heard of the butter mountain and the wine lake - well there was a milk lake too. And they needed to take up the slack hence the creation of delights such as Lymeswold Cheese and advertising campaigns bigging up milk (there were numerous slogans - Milk's Gotta Lotta Bottle was the one I remember) and all this probably backed up by the government's medical officers pretty much like the "Go to Work on an Egg" campaign.

I don't suppose we get gluts of anything anymore, what with the state agriculture these days. The farmer down the road has has 2 of his fields full of broadbeans - apparently there's a lot of demand for them for use in savoury snacks rather than selling them to be consumed as a vegetable in the normal way.

So, if you are suddenly aware of a preponderance of TV ads plugging Habas Fritas you'll know it's because farmer Dyer and his friends can't shift their broadbeans.

Cheers GG. You just reminded me to leave the cheque out for the milkman!
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Ffs you're dull.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Careful, there are Humphreys about...

Comment

Ffs you're dull
          And you're an unpleasant twat! Each to his/her own.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

lol - do you have a crate you put on your doorstep with a dial to indicate to the milkman how many pints to leave?

Comment

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
                When I was young, milk was everywhere; we were told it was full of calcium and good for the teeth and bones and we were all force fed the stuff every morning at school
                Have you not graduated to the grown-up stuff yet?

Comment

And you're an unpleasant twat! Each to his/her own.
                  Indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
                    Have you not graduated to the grown-up stuff yet?
                    I was wondering if that was where the latté came in. Starbucks and the like must get through loads of the stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X