• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Employment Allownce / NI

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Employment Allownce / NI

My accountant asked me if I wish to be part of the https://www.gov.uk/claim-employment-allowance scheme to save on NI payment each.

They estimate a saving of £160 pa.

Is it worth it for 1 man single LTD Co or just more hassle? welcome any views as my accountant is up to speed with tax/accountancy laws but not familiar if this may impact my 1 man Ltd Co set up/status.

before anyone says I should change account - to be honest had no real need for this.

Why wouldn't you do it? No brained.

Comment

I think you're asking whether this is any hassle for you. The answer is no, your accountant will handle it for you. This has no impact on the "status" of your company (whatever that may mean). Certain eligibility criteria apply (primarily, the ineligibility of public sector work), and your accountant should confirm that these criteria are met.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        I think you're asking whether this is any hassle for you. The answer is no, your accountant will handle it for you. This has no impact on the "status" of your company (whatever that may mean). Certain eligibility criteria apply (primarily, the ineligibility of public sector work), and your accountant should confirm that these criteria are met.
        The guidance PDF (here) explaining the change says
        You do not carry out a function of a public nature, if you are:
        • providing security and cleaning services for a public building, such as government or local council offices
        • supplying IT services for a government department or local council
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

It's very unlikely to have any negative effect in your set up, so it's probably safe, and easy, to yes to your accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            The guidance PDF (here) explaining the change says:

You do not carry out a function of a public nature, if you are:
            • providing security and cleaning services for a public building, such as government or local council offices
            • supplying IT services for a government department or local council

Indeed. Although it's a reasonable assumption that the OP works in IT, not everyone here does (I don't, for example), so it's better that they check with their accountant regarding eligibility.

Comment

You are saving money, so as said by TheCyclingProgrammer, it's a no brainer!

If you are eligible for the scheme, this will save you paying any employers NI up to £2,000. Even with a small salary, this is better than nothing.

Also, if you wanted to increase your salary for the year, you could earn up to £22,400 without paying any employers NI. But bear in mind this would mean further income tax and employees NI due.

But as long as your accountant has made the claim, you are eligible then it's no hassle for you. Instead you are making some tax savings!

Comment

I personally think it is a bit of hassle. Not the ticking of the box to claim it, but the fact that to get any benefit from it you'd need to be suffering, and paying over NICs to HMRC.

So to my mind there's two main choices:
                1) pay £663/month. This is slightly less tax efficient (assuming company qualifies for employment allowance and there aren't other staff that would use it up), but it keeps things simple, as there'll be no deductions at all in any month in the tax year, so net pay = gross pay.
                2) pay £833/month. Employment allowance means you won't suffer employer's NICs (again subject to the caveats above), but you will still suffer employee's NICs. If you're a director, this tends to mean no impact in months 1-9 or so, but the last few months the net pay will be lower than gross pay, with some NICs payable to HMRC.

The £833 saves a bit of tax overall, but the client needs to make payments to HMRC. This isn't difficult of course...but if you're the kind of person who struggles keeping on top of things as it is, it's one extra tax to keep track of that you could completely avoid by opting for £663. I imagine that's what the accountant meant by hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
                  The £833 saves a bit of tax overall, but the client needs to make payments to HMRC. This isn't difficult of course...but if you're the kind of person who struggles keeping on top of things as it is, it's one extra tax to keep track of that you could completely avoid by opting for £663. I imagine that's what the accountant meant by hassle.
                  This is a good point but it is worth noting that a director would only need to make a payment in the final quarter.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin at NixonWilliams View Post
                    This is a good point but it is worth noting that a director would only need to make a payment in the final quarter.
                    Indeed, that's how I have things set-up. I take Maslins' point, but I don't find it to be any hassle in practice.

Comment

Working...
                    X