• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you cycle to work?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you cycle to work?

If so what bike have you got?
    I need some advise as I'm looking to get this bike, but not to sure If I feel safe leaving it at the station in the morning.

Buy Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er Mountain Bike 2014 - Hardtail Race MTB at Tredz Bikes. £680.00 with free UK delivery

Is it worth the risk or should I just get a basic £99 bike.

I'm sure it's great and a regular cyclist would find it more fun than a cheapo, but let's face it bikes are stolen all the damn time, unless you can take it with you into the office or they have secure storage it's asking for grief.
    Leaving it outside a station all day you're bound to be looking at an empty spot one day or another.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
      I'm sure it's great and a regular cyclist would find it more fun than a cheapo, but let's face it bikes are stolen all the damn time, unless you can take it with you into the office or they have secure storage it's asking for grief.
      Leaving it outside a station all day you're bound to be looking at an empty spot one day or another.
      Yep, I used to work with people that kept a cycle at either end of their journey.

They either had them pinched or had the locks regularly damaged in attempts to pinch them. One chap said that he spent the same amount on locks as he did on the bike.

Get one that you wouldn't be upset about if/when it disappears.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by CloudWalker View Post
        If so what bike have you got?
        I need some advise as I'm looking to get this bike, but not to sure If I feel safe leaving it at the station in the morning.

Buy Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er Mountain Bike 2014 - Hardtail Race MTB at Tredz Bikes. £680.00 with free UK delivery

Is it worth the risk or should I just get a basic £99 bike.
        That's a nice 'Before' pic.

Here's the 'After' pic....

Comment

I'm on my 5th bike , one was a cheapy and broke the rest were nicked.

get an old specialized from ebay and a get stuffed D lock. paint both rough and you have half a chance of keeping it.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I have a 30 year old steel road bike that I use to commute in London. It's been converted to single speed, looks like crap and weighs a ton compared to modern bikes. I cost me £50 to buy and looks like it's worth less.

Unless you want a nice'ish bike to ride other than on the commute, don't bother.

I;d also not bother with a full on MTB for commuting. they are big, heavy and hard work. Your better off with a proper hybrid with thinner tyres and no suspension.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

That saddle looks like an instrument of torture, and the handle bars so low.

All the pretty ladies in Munich town seem to use those bikes with handle bars in line with the direction of travel. Takes a bit of getting used to.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

If you do get a £99 bike, make sure it is only £99 'cos it's second hand. Pay that much for a new bike and it won't last a year even if it doesn't get stolen.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

WTF! I just checked the crime statistics for the station and there were 2 bikes stolen last month a 1 before that!

Give it a try, just put your local postcode in: Police.uk

I think i'll just get this

Last edited by CloudWalker; 5 October 2014, 21:26.

Comment

Originally posted by CloudWalker View Post
                    WTF! I just checked the crime statistics for the station and there were 2 bikes stolen last month a 1 before that!

Give it a try, just put your local postcode in: Police.uk
                    Those will just be the ones that are recorded/reported it's probable that the true figures are an order of magnitude higher.

Comment

Working...
                    X