• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why does the moon look larger when it's near the horizon?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does the moon look larger when it's near the horizon?

Anyone know why the summer moon looks massively (almost spookily) large compared to when it's overhead?

No cheating on Google please.

Wasn't this on the telly the other day? It's an optical illusion.

People also over estimate how big it looks i.e. do you need a £1 coin or a 5p to cover it. In fact a pea at arms length will do it.
    Blair, you cannot reach me now,
    No matter how you try,
    Goodbye cruel Labour,
    Your end is nigh.

International Talk Like a Pirate Day

Comment

Something to do with refraction of the light coming from the moon I guess. Light reflected from the moon would pass through a much thicker layer of atmosphere when it is near the horizon than when it is overhead.

Comment

I didn't know it was on telly. How topical am I?

It has little to do with refraction and a lot to do with our crappy, easily confused brains.

Comment

I remember - not quiet the other day, but an issue of 'The Sky at Night' when they were talking about an eclipse of the sun.

When the moon is overhead there are few clues as to it's distance but near the horizon there are far more.
          Blair, you cannot reach me now,
          No matter how you try,
          Goodbye cruel Labour,
          Your end is nigh.

International Talk Like a Pirate Day

Comment

Isn't it because it's nearer to the ground?

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
              Isn't it because it's nearer to the ground?
              No. the moon is on a long string. BUT , (this is the catch) it's an elastic string. Therefore the moon whizzes round in a non-circular orbit. Sometimes it's close, sometimes it aint. The fact that it's tied to the Earth is where the term tides comes from. The moon and the tides. They are connected you see.
              Sometimes the moon is full, sometimes its harvest, sometimes it's blue(like my suede shoes) sometimes it wanes. If it wasn't for the moon JF Kennedy would not have been shot.

Alchohol - it's a bastard

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by CaribbeanPirate
                Wasn't this on the telly the other day? It's an optical illusion.

People also over estimate how big it looks i.e. do you need a £1 coin or a 5p to cover it. In fact a pea at arms length will do it.
                Just tried a pea at arms length and wet my shirt.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

it looks bigger through the bottom of a beer bottle I always find and I dont normally hold my beer vertically, unless I'm on Venus

Comment

The reason it looks bigger is because the moon is falling to earth. Dooomed!
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X