• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Bench vol. CCXLIX

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Bench vol. CCXLIX

Just back from a trip to the Peak District. Managed to get totally lost on the way home and ended up heading towards Manchester. Luckily it was raining heavily the entire time
    • LHC In Your Neighborhood - "How big is the Large Hadron Collider? Move the map around to put an LHC sized circle around your hometown." You can also choose the Fermilab Tevatron, or the proposed Very Large Hadron Collider.

• The Sand Thieves: World's Beaches Become Victims of Construction Boom - "Sand is becoming so scarce that stealing it has become an attractive business model. With residential towers rising ever higher and development continuing apace in Asia and Africa, demand for the finite resource is insatiable.” At this rate, the number of grains of sand on the beach will cease to be a suitable metaphor for “countless”

• Dead Wood: Is This the End for Classic Rock's Greatest Guitar Makers? - "Building custom instruments for the Grateful Dead, Carlos Santana, Fleetwood Mac and others, the Wickersham family has been on the cutting edge of sonic sorcery. But are these artisanal wizards becoming obsolete?"

• Seven lessons I learned from the failure of my first startup, Dinnr - Michael Bohanes made a number of mistakes, so you don’t have to: ”After having spent tens of thousands of pounds of my personal money and working obsessively on an idea that had inspired me for a long time, I felt that I had given it all and that it was time to move on.”

• The Mysterious Valley of the Headless Corpses - "Surely one of the more bizarre mysteries from the Canadian wilderness comes from Nahanni National Park, a place also known ominously as “The Valley of Headless Men.” The name is not merely a spooky nickname for a remote, mysterious land, for the area is long known for having people disappear only to turn up without their heads." Awesome scenery, though

• Who Killed Bugsy Siegel? - New clues to the murder of the gangster who got Las Vegas off the ground: ”We are sitting together in the dining room of [Robbie Sedway’s] Pacific Palisades condo. In front of him is a cardboard box, and he is riffling through its contents: photos of made men, murderers convicted and otherwise, even a bona fide movie star. For Robbie, this is what passes for family memorabilia. Adjusting his glasses, he pulls out a posed portrait of his mother, Bee. Once she was a gangster’s wife.”

• The Internet - Lisa Schamess reflects on the life and death of her first husband: ”A lot of it was them sending you places that I couldn’t go. To the X-rays, to the first biopsy, to the MRIs, to the wing of the floor of the hospital that was off limits after 8 p.m., to anaesthesia, to pre-op, to post-op… On the morning of the day that they told us what it was, what exactly it was, what its precise Latin nomenclature was (like a demon we had to name before expunging), we were crowded into a small exam room at George Washington University Hospital, in a building now demolished and replaced with a glossy glass castle of light.”

• What It’s like to Fly the $23,000 Singapore Airlines Suites Class - "In 2008, Singapore Airlines introduced their Suites Class, the most luxurious class of flying that is commercially available… they go beyond flat beds by offering enclosed private cabins with sliding doors that cocoon you in your own little lap of luxury. The interior was designed by French luxury yacht designer Jean-Jacques Coste and comes along with a plush soft leather armchair hand-stitched by the Italian master craftsmen Poltrona Frau. Perhaps most well-known of all, Singapore Airlines became the first and only commercial airline with a double bed in the sky.” I bet you can even get peanuts, if you want them

• Confessions of a former internet troll - "I want to tell you about when violent campaigns against harmless bloggers weren't any halfway decent troll's idea of a good time.” Emmett Rensin on being an arsehole online.

• Worst Cat - None of these cats look much good, qua cats: ”This woman looks unhappy about her choice of cat. Honestly I can’t blame her.”

Happy invoicing!

Liked the LHC one
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

Comment

Top work NF. Ive been away for a few days - but I always like to pop in on a Monday.

Comment

I like the Singapore Airlines one. Proper contractor flying there. Not even MF rolls like that

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
          I like the Singapore Airlines one. Proper contractor flying there. Not even MF rolls like that
          Unless you give him a shove to get him moving.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            • Seven lessons I learned from the failure of my first startup, Dinnr - Michael Bohanes made a number of mistakes, so you don’t have to: ”After having spent tens of thousands of pounds of my personal money and working obsessively on an idea that had inspired me for a long time, I felt that I had given it all and that it was time to move on.”
            A good read, ta.
            ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
            Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              Unless you give him a shove to get him moving.
              True. It's hard to stop him after that

Comment

Working...
              X