• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Footage of the F1 crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Footage of the F1 crash

If anyone is interested, this is shocking and shows Bianchi's car ploughing into the JCB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9nTro04VCM

It's horrific. He is lucky to be alive. Those cars aren't designed for that type of impact.

Comment

Originally posted by rsingh View Post
      It's horrific. He is lucky to be alive. Those cars aren't designed for that type of impact.
      That's exactly what they're designed for. The driver is worth more than the car.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
        That's exactly what they're designed for. The driver is worth more than the car.
        No it's not. They are designed for side and front impacts. Not having the top shaven off by overhanging JCB rear ends.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          No it's not. They are designed for side and front impacts. Not having the top shaven off by overhanging JCB rear ends.
          Indeed.

They do a hell of a lot to make them safe, just look at the many massive crashes that have happened since Senna died where the crashed driver has either walked away or been released from hospital a day or so later more or less undamaged.
          Massa took a bit of car to the head and lived by sheer fluke.

It's probably safe to say this poor bugger would have climbed out cursing if that machine wasn't there at exactly the wrong time. Can only hope he's ok in the long run.

That footage is farking scary btw, how the guy wasn't killed outright I can't even guess.

Comment

Very scary. The car lifted the JCB clean off its rear wheels!!! The strength of the cockpit etc required to do that may have saved him.

From reading the news his injury is a sudden deceleration injury rather than an impact injury. Either way hope he makes it

Comment

Wow. Thanks for sharing. I had a quick look around on the day feeling like I was dirty for wanting to see, but also it's weird when you CAN'T find things these days... you get used to everything being out there.

F1 safety is incredible and this is a crazy one-off, in decades of racing I don't think we've had the same happen. I don't think it necessitates big changes to F1 personally, it's such a freak occurrence that trying to prevent any such thing happening would require over-draconian changes.

As the drivers say, it IS inherently a dangerous sport.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I remember when Nikki Lauder was complaining about F1 being over-regulated after Silverstone was held up while they replaced a broken crash barrier. His reasoning was that the likelihood of two cars crashing at the same spot was miniscule. This incident just demonstrates that when you are performing at these margins, these things are more likely to happen. However I don't think further regulation is required. Maybe better use of cranes as opposed to recovery vehicles.

That recovery guy in front of the JCB was bloody lucky!

Comment

Originally posted by rsingh View Post
                  I remember when Nikki Lauder was complaining about F1 being over-regulated after Silverstone was held up while they replaced a broken crash barrier. His reasoning was that the likelihood of two cars crashing at the same spot was miniscule. This incident just demonstrates that when you are performing at these margins, these things are more likely to happen. However I don't think further regulation is required. Maybe better use of cranes as opposed to recovery vehicles.

That recovery guy in front of the JCB was bloody lucky!
                  Or just watch MotoGP instead of boring/girly F1

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                    Or just watch MotoGP instead of boring/girly F1
                    I'm surprised how so many of them are able to walk away!

Comment

Working...
                    X