• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scots Property Tax: 10% above £250k

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scots Property Tax: 10% above £250k

Scottish Budget: Boost for first-time buyers - BBC News

Ouch!
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Feck me. 12% on that one Scooter was waving about at the weekend . Or £132k

I imagine the asking price will be dropping shortly

Edit: here it is
    Last edited by barrydidit; 10 October 2014, 07:11.

Comment

Do read the article you numpty. You'll always spend less tax buying a home in Scotland now.

First £135k = no tax
      £135k - £250k = 2%
      £250k+ 10%

A property bought at £300,000 in 2015 would mean a £7,300 charge [0% of £135,000; 2% of £115,000 and 10% of £50,000]. With stamp duty for a house at this price currently at 3%, the stamp duty payment would be £9,000.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        You'll always spend less tax buying a home in Scotland now.
        Ok, so the one you linked to would be £89,300, not £132,000. Still a bit more than £55,000 which is the rate (flat 5%) it'll replace.

It's a better way of doing it, certainly. Stamp duty bands as they stand are a right old pain in the arse, but 10% on anything from £250 to a million seems a bit steep.

Comment

Once you go past 325,000 you start to lose out and we would have had to pay quite a bit more.

More populist bulltulip.

Comment

Is this the same as the English system where it's on the whole value, or is it 10% on everything above £250k?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Is this the same as the English system where it's on the whole value, or is it 10% on everything above £250k?
              Nope its tiered rates. its 10% on everything above £250k...

people are better of if the house is less than £325,000
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

'Til the pips squeak.

It's the leftie way.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  Nope its tiered rates. its 10% on everything above £250k...

people are better of if the house is less than £325,000
                  I hate that the English system isn't like that. Even if the bands were shifted so it didn't affect what my house cost at all, it just seems inherently broken to have such a step-change. In communities where the prices are generally not above £250k they all hit that ceiling and stop, while other communities above the ceiling carry on increasing in value.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    I hate that the English system isn't like that. Even if the bands were shifted so it didn't affect what my house cost at all, it just seems inherently broken to have such a step-change. In communities where the prices are generally not above £250k they all hit that ceiling and stop, while other communities above the ceiling carry on increasing in value.
                    Yep, currently anything within 10% of the bottom of a band drops to the top of the previous band
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X