• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it worth getting a car on hire purchase?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it worth getting a car on hire purchase?

We have completely outgrown our current "family" car and I am thinking I need to get a Toyota verso (feel free to debate my opinion on this). I am thinking to get a car from a Toyota dealer costing says 9-10k. Current car is worth 1500, I can throw on another 2k for deposit. The family car does very low mileage, about 7k a year max. Would it be worth taking out a hire purchase, paying say 100/month and then just getting rid of the car at the end of the term?

I have the cash but I don't like to spend a lot in one go on a car which is a long-term cost. We also won't be feeling a 100/month...

If you cannot afford to buy outright, 'worth' is not a factor.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

What about a Merc or Lexus ? Maybe even push the boat out and get a Porsche Cayenne.
      Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        I said I do have the cash... That's not the point. Plus factor in that we are most in need of the space now and mrs nwp2c not back to work yet cos of kids.

Comment

Imagine if this became a law, new car sales will probably hit 0.
          Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
            What about a Merc or Lexus ? Maybe even push the boat out and get a Porsche Cayenne.
            The cars we see in mini nwp2c's school are ridiculous. It's like they are all competing for the best and most expensive cars. Range rovers are every other car, the rest are either mercs, bmws or Porsches.

Comment

I am always weary of taking out new financial commitments, but compared to all my peers, I still appear to be a hell of a lot more sensible. I see most people taking out expensive hire purchase or lease agreements ranging from 450/month to 650/month. I figure 100/month is hardly gonna break the bank, I have the money in reserve and worst case I can sell my other car....

Comment

I've no debts myself, but spending money that does not belong to me in order to achieve a sense of worth would seem inept.

Look a 2007 Volvo xc70 for £3.5k. It's a steal and room for all the family. Used to drive one myself, very comfortable.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...xc70?logcode=p
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I've no debts myself, but spending money that does not belong to me in order to achieve a sense of worth would seem inept.

Look a 2007 Volvo xc70 for £3.5k. It's a steal and room for all the family. Used to drive one myself, very comfortable.
                  Hardly trying to achieve a sense of worth by buying a verso, looking for peace of mind in terms of warranty and quality.

Comment

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...xc70?logcode=p
                    200k ok the clock ..... Yeah

Comment

Working...
                    X