• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in Qatar, hired by french company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working in Qatar, hired by french company

Slightly huge question: What are the tax implications for invoicing the french company (with french address) but working in Qatar? The contract is about 9 months and I live in the UK.

Tax treatment in that part of the world can be quite complex, there's rules over how long you're there and how long you're out of the UK.
    You may be best off checking with the ex-pat community or an expert accountant, it's the kind of question that could be a pain if you get it wrong.

Comment

Assuming you are an IPSE member, ring their tax advice helpline and see what they say.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by frustin View Post
        Slightly huge question: What are the tax implications for invoicing the french company (with french address) but working in Qatar? The contract is about 9 months and I live in the UK.
        You are tax resident and the work in physically in Qatar you should pay tax in Qatar ie zero .
        You are legally required to declare your world wide income in the UK.
        You will need to consult a UK tax expert on the UK France double tax treaty as to whether you should pay tax in France as you did not physically work there.

Comment

There are no tax implications in France. You're simply invoicing a French company, and there's no question about your residency in France. You'll remain resident in the UK for tax purposes and I expect you'll also be resident in Qatar (183-day rule). There may be a UK-Qatar tax treaty to offset any income tax paid in Qatar (possibly none, but you'll need advice). You'll also need advice on corporate residency.

Comment

Try the Expat Exchange, you may get more specific information there.

Comment

Working...
            X