• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

24 Month Rule

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24 Month Rule

I'm putting this in General as I'm sure it is a stupid question, but still needs asking.

I've read plenty of threads that describe how much a journey has to change for it to be considered different enough to reset the 24 month clock. They all assume the journey's change is working venue, does it count if you move house? Say I work in Leeds and commute from the North East, then decide to move to West Yorkshire, can I start the clock again. I'm pretty sure the answer is no.
    I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Originally posted by GlenW View Post
    I'm pretty sure the answer is no.
    Me too.

Comment

I'm putting this in General as I'm sure it is a stupid question, but still needs asking.

I've read plenty of threads that describe how much a journey has to change for it to be considered different enough to reset the 24 month clock. They all assume the journey's change is working venue, does it count if you move house? Say I work in Leeds and commute from the North East, then decide to move to West Yorkshire, can I start the clock again. I'm pretty sure the answer is no.
      No because the sole purpose of the 24 month clock is to give people time to decide to either find another (local) job or move nearer...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        No because the sole purpose of the 24 month clock is to give people time to decide to either find another (local) job or move nearer...
        Yes that is the opposite of what the rule is for.

So you move somewhere more solubrious and the taxpayer funds your travel? I don't think so

Comment

Quite probably. Although you end up at the same place the journey is not "essentially the same" unless all you're doing is getting on the same train a bit further down the line.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
            Yes that is the opposite of what the rule is for.

So you move somewhere more solubrious and the taxpayer funds your travel? I don't think so
            works for public sector workers.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

If the journey is different, then I don't see why you cannot reset the clock. Maybe one for the accounting forums where an accountant might look at it?
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

There is no rule. You work anywhere you want for as long as you want until your caught.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  There is no rule. You work anywhere you want for as long as you want until your caught.
                  you're
                  I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    If the journey is different, then I don't see why you cannot reset the clock. Maybe one for the accounting forums where an accountant might look at it?
                    Sounds very reasonable; but I vaguely recall the rule was based solely on the destination, regardless of clientco, and that only a change in that of at least two miles resets the clock.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X