• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Euromillions £111m tonight.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Euromillions £111m tonight.

So the CUK Cartel didn't win last week, are you in again tonight?

Once its over 100m I take note and have bought 10 lucky dip rows.

GL Everyone

Quick question for the mathematicians, I bought some tickets last Friday and they obviously didn't win, does this mean they are any more likely to come up tonight, if I play the same numbers again?
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

No. But making sure you pick combinations other people don't increases the amount you would win if you win.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
      So the CUK Cartel didn't win last week, are you in again tonight?

Once its over 100m I take note and have bought 10 lucky dip rows.

GL Everyone

Quick question for the mathematicians, I bought some tickets last Friday and they obviously didn't win, does this mean they are any more likely to come up tonight, if I play the same numbers again?
      Look up Gambler's Fallacy.

Comment

At odds of 1 in 116,531,800 I probably won't bother.
        More chance of being killed by a meteorite, 1 in 700,000 apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by alluvial View Post
          At odds of 1 in 116,531,800 I probably won't bother.
          Does that mean we should expect to see thousands of people being killed by meteorites during a lifetime?

Comment

Is that at exactly 8pm tonight? Or over a lifetime?

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
              Is that at exactly 8pm tonight? Or over a lifetime?
              Over a lifetime I would say. 8pm tonight might be a tad less likely.

Comment

Over a lifetime I would say. 8pm tonight might be a tad less likely.
                Well that's where the comparison falls down then

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                  Does that mean we should expect to see thousands of people being killed by meteorites during a lifetime?
                  Does seem rather low.

This site gives what feels like a more realistic value of 1 in 74,817,414.

All pretty meaningless really and I'm pretty sure that whoever calculated those figures have based them on some very basic assumptions.

Edit: Ah, just read that link. It is the odds in a given year whereas the lower value will be over a lifetime. But, as I think SO was alluding to, the empirical evidence doesn't really support the figures.
                  Last edited by alluvial; 14 October 2014, 12:21.

Comment

Does seem rather low.

This site gives what feels like a more realistic value of 1 in 74,817,414.

All pretty meaningless really and I'm pretty sure that whoever calculated those figures have based them on some very basic assumptions.
                    I read a while back that a surprisingly large number of people are struck by lightening every year. Odds were between 25000/1 and 60000/1. A direct hit by a meteorite must be much rarer though!

Comment

Working...
                    X