• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Backward people who need the Darwin treatment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backward people who need the Darwin treatment

BBC News - Doctor 'interfered' with patient's right to speak Welsh

A doctor who asked a mother and child to stop speaking Welsh during an emergency consultation ignored their right to speak the language, the Welsh Language Commissioner has ruled.

The child needed "urgent care" and the doctor needed to speak directly to give the help needed, the report said.

We all speak American - why can't we just live with that? If you are going to get doctors who are fluent in a minor language then you are not going to get the best.

Next time don't give them the treatment. The billions the NHS spends and people still want them to spend more. No wonder the UK is going down the pan.

BTW I completely believe it is correct to teach a second language at primary school. I would like it to be Mandarin or Hindo as that is where the future lies.

I was speaking to a Welshman and an English person who lived in Wales recently. Both brought up the subject of welsh speaking schools quite quickly into the conversation. I got the impression this was some kind of big deal.

The English chap though it was having a detrimental effect on the kids chances speaking English as a second language.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      I was speaking to a Welshman and an English person who lived in Wales recently. Both brought up the subject of welsh speaking schools quite quickly into the conversation. I got the impression this was some kind of big deal.

The English chap though it was having a detrimental effect on the kids chances speaking American as a second language.
      FTFY

Apparently there is no law preventing Non-Welsh speakers getting government jobs in Wales - but everyone who gets the job can speak Welsh.

Comment

am I cynical to suspect English was not the Doctors first language and if he/she was with their child they might resort to their native language?

this seems an odd way to phrase it if the Doctor wished to smooth the way and a little stilted for an English speaker.
        'I know you are Welsh but please stop talking in Welsh as I am taking it as a personal offence'
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The English chap though it was having a detrimental effect on the kids chances speaking English as a second language.
          No detrimental effect at all so long as the kid only wants to work in Welsh speaking establishments.

Comment

The Welsh chap was really quite proud of the Welsh schooling, like it really mattered to him. The English chap who had three kids at school was basically saying "this is all a bit fooked up". Both offered their opinions on the subject independently and quite quickly into an initial meeting.

On later reflection I found it quite interesting being from a country where fruitbat separationist nationalism is thriving.

Comment

Originally posted by alluvial View Post
              No detrimental effect at all so long as the kid only wants to work in Welsh speaking establishments.
              so the public sector in wales which is a closed shop unless you speak welsh...
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Defintely wrong. My son goes to Welsh-language medium school.

In general, they are better than standard state schools. He can speak Welsh and English equally fluently - there is no 2nd language.

In school he speaks Welsh - they are not allowed to speak English. At home, he speaks English (my wife and I are not fluent). Best of both worlds.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  BBC News - Doctor 'interfered' with patient's right to speak Welsh

A doctor who asked a mother and child to stop speaking Welsh during an emergency consultation ignored their right to speak the language, the Welsh Language Commissioner has ruled.

The child needed "urgent care" and the doctor needed to speak directly to give the help needed, the report said.

We all speak American - why can't we just live with that? If you are going to get doctors who are fluent in a minor language then you are not going to get the best.

Next time don't give them the treatment. The billions the NHS spends and people still want them to spend more. No wonder the UK is going down the pan.

BTW I completely believe it is correct to teach a second language at primary school. I would like it to be Mandarin or Hindo as that is where the future lies.
                  It was North Wales. Chances are Welsh was the childs first language and he/she was more confident in speaking Welsh.
                  Its not a new thing, its a fact - people in a lot of the part of North Wales speak Welsh as their first language. They're not being awkward it is the language that is used on a day to day basis.

And funnily enough they were speaking their own language in their own country.

Quite why an NHS trust would employ a doctor who gets upset it seems at being spoken to in Welsh in North Wales is very strange indeed. Yes granted its not possible to employ welsh speaking doctors all the time but for him/her to get upset about it is a bit off.

But assuming doctor had not been visiting the area just for the day, he would know how things are. People will speak to you in Welsh in the first instance, like I said, its the main language. Go into a shop and they'll greet you in Welsh. Of course, start speaking english and they can all speak English so its not a problem.

What is a waste of money is the NHS paying for Somali translators for patients who've been in the country 6 months, claiming benefits and asylum.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Defintely wrong. My son goes to Welsh-language medium school.
                    Is that where they learn to communicate with dead welsh people?
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X