• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Christopher Booker thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Christopher Booker thread

To avoid confusion. If people want to make a point about Booker then please make it here. If you want to make a point about the photosynthesis/Co2 article then please make it here http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ists-miss.html
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

He lives in the next village to me and I've met him in the pub a few times.

He's a nice bloke.

Some may say a little over zealous in his anti-AGW stance but a useful chap to have on side when greedy developers and landowners have targeted your area with plans for wind farms.

With him all the way on his views re Europe.

Comment

Putting it simply, white asbestos is implicated as a cause of both lung cancer and mesothelioma though uncertainty remains about the precise nature of how the risk changes at different levels of exposure. It cannot be called safe by any sensible person.
      Geoffrey Podger
      Chief Executive
      Health and Safety Executive

A succession of scientific studies have shown that white asbestos cement - not to be confused with the genuinely dangerous blue and brown forms of asbestos, a different mineral - poses no measurable risk to health

Christopher Booker.

How many people have believed Booker and put themselves at risk? The man is a menace.
      My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
        Geoffrey Podger
        Chief Executive
        Health and Safety Executive

Christopher Booker.

How many people have believed Booker and put themselves at risk? The man is a menace.
        You tell us.

I love Booker for his refusal to let the left fool us into constantly pouring money into their coffers - whether it be the institutions of the EU or the gravy train that is the climate change racket.
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
          You tell us.

I love Booker for his refusal to let the left fool us into constantly pouring money into their coffers - whether it be the institutions of the EU or the gravy train that is the climate change racket.
          Such 'refusal', if it exists, might be rather more effective if he didn't consistently make a fool of himself. Take the smear he co-authored with Richard North against the chair of the IPCC, Rajendra Pachauri, alleging conflicts of interest running into 'millions of dollars' from outside commercial interests, and complaining that we don’t know “how much we all pay him” as chairman of the IPCC.

Booker and North apparently allowed their political dispositions to over-ride basic journalistic principles, like
          • Not lying and
          • Doing easy and basic research.

Pachauri's employers, a charity, commissioned KPMG to audit Dr Pachauri's finanical affairs and found he received his basic salary of £45K and less than £3,000 from speaking fees, lectures and books. His income from chairing the IPCC is a matter of public record. before tax he receives this .....

£0.

Despite several requests for a clarification the Telegraph refused - until Pachauri instructed libel lawyers. The article has now been removed, and the Telegraph obliged to pay 6-figure costs and issue an apology ...

On 20 December 2009 we published an article about Dr Pachauri and his business interests. It was not intended to suggest that Dr Pachauri was corrupt or abusing his position as head of the IPCC and we accept KPMG found Dr Pachauri had not made "millions of dollars" in recent years. We apologise to Dr Pachauri for any embarrassment caused.
          Seems to me Booker and North's allowed political prejudices to overcome basic journalistic good practice and smeared a scrupulously honest man.

But as long as he is one of us and fights the good fight, we can overlook such petifogging nitpicks such as the publishing the truth, doing a bit of Googling before putting pen to paper.... huh?
          Last edited by pjclarke; 14 October 2014, 15:50. Reason: Put a figure to Dr P's salary, and fixed a typo

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
            Such 'refusal', if it exists, might be rather more effective if he didn't consistently make a fool of himself. Take the smear he co-authored with Richard North against the chair of the IPCC, Rajendra Pachauri, alleging conflicts of interest running into 'millions of dollars' from outside commercial interests, and complaining that we don’t know “how much we all pay him” as chairman of the IPCC.

Booker and North apparently allowed their political dispositions to over-ride basic journalistic principles, like
            • Not lying and
            • Doing easy and basic research.

Pachauri's employers, a charity, commissioned KPMG to audit Dr Pachauri's finanical affairs and found he received his basic salary of £45K and less than £3,000 from speaking fees, lectures and books. His income from chairing the IPCC is a matter of public record. before tax he receives this .....

£0.

Despite several requests for a clarification the Telegraph refused - until Pachauri instructed libel lawyers. The article has now been removed, and the Telegraph obliged to pay 6-figure costs and issue an apology ...

Seems to me Booker and North's allowed political prejudices to overcome basic journalistic good practice and smeared a scrupulously honest man.

But as long as he is one of us and fights the good fight, we can overlook such petifogging nitpicks such as the publishing the truth, doing a bit of Googling before putting pen to paper.... huh?
            Fair enough. If he is going to behave like that then he deserves to be judged accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              To avoid confusion. If people want to make a point about Booker then please make it here.
              I'd just like to make the point that he must read a shed load of books to decide who gets that Booker prize each year

Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                I'd just like to make the point that he must read a shed load of books to decide who gets that Booker prize each year

And doing that Screen Wipe thing, while keeping Konnie Huq happy ....

Comment

Working...
                X