• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hello, and here is my newbie question...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, and here is my newbie question...

Hi there,
    A bit of background; I'm currently a permie working for a consultancy on a client site ('embedded' in one of their teams), perform a support role on my own.
    Proposal is to expand the team, and a vacancy has been published via an agency - for a contract position.
    I'm thinking of applying for the contract position - how best to go about this?
    Via the agency, like anybody else seeing the ad, or directly to my employer? I'm pretty sure they only deal via agencies.
    Cheers, and thanks for any helpful advice.
    Percy

Originally posted by Percy View Post
    Hi there,
    A bit of background; I'm currently a permie working for a consultancy on a client site ('embedded' in one of their teams), perform a support role on my own.
    Proposal is to expand the team, and a vacancy has been published via an agency - for a contract position.
    Via the agency, like anybody else seeing the ad, or directly to my employer? I'm pretty sure they only deal via agencies.
    Percy
    Welcome to CUK

Your employer is the consultancy. The client is the consultancy's client.

If you want to apply, the agency is the way to go, but I would read your contract as there might be a clause to stop you from doing this.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

clarification

Hi there, and thanks for the reply.
      Just to clarify, I was asking whether it would be better to apply via the agency, or talk directly to my employer (the consultancy) about leaving their employment as a permie and being taken on as a contractor - but I guess your answer is still the same?

I wasn't talking about jumping ship from the consultancy to the client; seen that happen before.

Comment

So you basically want your current employer to make you a contractor? Before even considering the "contracting" implications of this have you asked yourself why they are advertising your role on job boards?

Comment

Hi there,
          Percy
          Why don't you cut and paste the exclusion clauses of your employment contract with the names redacted?
          Then we can give a reasoned opinion.

Maybe you should be asking why they want a temp and not a permie.

Comment

Hi guys,

oracleslave - vacancy is in addition to myself; it may well be that they want the flexibility to exand and contract, so I'm aware that should the workload not demand it, they could jettison the +1. My view is that even if they do hire a permie to replace me, my skills and experience should still put me in a strong position.

zemoxyl - don't believe there are any exclusion clauses as such; they would be more directed at going to work for the client.

Thanks again

Comment

zemoxyl - don't believe there are any exclusion clauses as such; they would be more directed at going to work for the client.
              So who are you going to be working for, if it's not the client?

And it may well be in the consultancy-client contract that has restrictions in it to prevent this happening.

If you want to be a contractor, then you would be best-off leaving and finding a new contract, rather than doing the same job for the client via a different billing mechanism.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Oh dear, I'm probably being clear as mud. Start again.

I am currently working for my employer on a 'permanent' contract.
                A fixed-term contract vacancy has been advertised.
                I'm considering applying for it.

The vacancy is with my current employer but is in addition to my role.
                The vacancy has been advertised by an agency.

All I wanted to know is, what's the best approach, go via the agency like other applicants, or talk to my manager directly?

Ta

Comment

Neither. You *will* be caught by IR35. If you want to contract. Go contract. Somewhere else.
                  And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Oh dear, I'm probably being clear as mud. Start again.

I am currently working for my employer on a 'permanent' contract.
                    A fixed-term contract vacancy has been advertised.
                    I'm considering applying for it.

The vacancy is with my current employer but is in addition to my role.
                    The vacancy has been advertised by an agency.

All I wanted to know is, what's the best approach, go via the agency like other applicants, or talk to my manager directly?

Ta

So, in effect, you would be applying to fill another internal position within your current employer which sounds exactly like you existing job but without the protection that permanent employment provides.

If it is what you want (and from what you have revealed so far I can see no reason why you would do this as there appears to be zero benefit to you) then my recommendation would be to speak to your employer directly about this and not involve the agency.

Comment

Working...
                    X