• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Limted company on flat rate scheme

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limted company on flat rate scheme

I have just paid my VAT return at 14.5%, my accountant has told me if I leave 15% in my account it will be more than enough to cover my taxes.
    I don't know how this is possible when I've just paid out 14.5% on my VAT return and I presume I need to pay 20% corporation tax on any profits but I won't need to pay any tax on dividends as I'm on the basic rate.

The first thing you should do is ask your accountant how he arrived at that amount and get him to give you a breakdown
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie Simon View Post
      I have just paid my VAT return at 14.5%, my accountant has told me if I leave 15% in my account it will be more than enough to cover my taxes.
      I don't know how this is possible when I've just paid out 14.5% on my VAT return and I presume I need to pay 20% corporation tax on any profits but I won't need to pay any tax on dividends as I'm on the basic rate.
      Your accountant needs to explain this to your satisfaction. Ask them for a worked example.

To be using 15% as a rule of thumb sounds low to me. However remember that 20% CT is on profits after deducting salary, pension, travel and other expenses. The company doesn't ever pay tax on dividends, even if you were personally on the high rate.

Comment

Rough

Roughly as follows:
        £100 Earned
        £20 collected in VAT

CT £20
        Vat on Flat rate £15

Left £85
        Thus Liability in Total £15 on £100 earnings or 15%.

Comment

Say I take home £100 a week I need to include VAT onto that so my earnings would be £83.34+£16.66 collected in VAT
          CT £16.66
          VAT on flat rate £15

Left £68.34
          Thus Liability is Total £15 on £83.34 earnings or 18%

Is this correct ?

Comment

£100 + VAT = £120
            Flat rate VAT at 14.5% = £17.40

That leaves £102.60 which assuming that was all gross profit, would leave you £82.08 after CT so approximately 82% of your daily rate ex. VAT or 68% of your gross turnover.

In reality you would have tax deductible expenses that would that would reduce your CT bill so I would say put aside 25-30% of your gross turnover.

OR, forget the guess work and use software gives you a real time indication of your turnover, profit, VAT and CT liabilities. You need to know how much retained profit you have in order to declare a dividend anyway.
            Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 18 October 2014, 09:40.

Comment

Say I take home £100 a week I need to include VAT onto that so my earnings would be £83.34+£16.66 collected in VAT
              CT £16.66
              VAT on flat rate £15

Left £68.34
              Thus Liability is Total £15 on £83.34 earnings or 18%

Is this correct ?
              If you're taking home £100 a week, then that would be after VAT, tax, expenses etc. have already been deducted. If not, then you're doing it wrong.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                £100 + VAT = £120
                Flat rate VAT at 14.5% = £17.40

That leaves £102.60 which assuming that was all gross profit, would leave you £82.08 after CT so approximately 82% of your daily rate ex. VAT or 68% of your gross turnover.

In reality you would have tax deductible expenses that would that would reduce your CT bill so I would say put aside 25-30% of your gross turnover.

OR, forget the guess work and use software gives you a real time indication of your turnover, profit, VAT and CT liabilities. You need to know how much retained profit you have in order to declare a dividend anyway.
                Is there any free software out there?

Comment

Best not to count VAT as a true tax, it's more like tax-collected, it was never yours. it was never part of your daily rate, not part of your income figure.

Comment

Is there any free software out there?
                    A spreadsheet?

Or stop being a cheapskate and get a FreeAgent, Xero, or Kashflow account (I'd recommend FreeAgent). It will cost you about one day's work.

Comment

Working...
                    X