• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The latest iMac with 5K retina display

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The latest iMac with 5K retina display

omg these things are going to sell like hotcakes. Invest! Invest!

After the disapointment that was the recent iPhone and iWatch, my faith is now restored. Beautiful design and general wowness.

Apple - iMac with Retina 5K display
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

I can't wait to see one in the flesh but only hope I won't be silly enough to buy one
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      I can't wait to see one in the flesh but only hope I won't be silly enough to buy one
      I've already configured my dream machine, almost £4k! But then the last iMac I bought was in 2006, which I continue to use to the present day, and cost me £1800 at the time. So £225 a year. Not bad.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Isn't this the Lisa all over again, impressive but far too expensive? I can't see even most Mac users buying this, since it is a new model rather than a replacement for the existing iMac... graphic design types maybe? Power users would have the Mac Pro - are they going to sell the 5k screen as a standalone product like they do the current iMac display?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Isn't this the Lisa all over again, impressive but far too expensive? I can't see even most Mac users buying this, since it is a new model rather than a replacement for the existing iMac... graphic design types maybe? Power users would have the Mac Pro - are they going to sell the 5k screen as a standalone product like they do the current iMac display?
          It's a £400 premium on the standard display. If you are in the market for a new Mac it's worth considering. It's also the only iMac with a 4 Ghz processor option. The next one down only has the option for 3.5 Ghz.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

A mere £3519 for the highest spec machine... as much as I like shiny Apple toys I will pass on this one. Although it would be nice if it was possible to just buy the display without the mac parts inside.

Comment

Originally posted by sartois View Post
              A mere £3519 for the highest spec machine... as much as I like shiny Apple toys I will pass on this one. Although it would be nice if it was possible to just buy the display without the mac parts inside.
              That's the thing, the Thunderbolt display is desperately in need of an update. The iMac has been super thin for a few years now and the standalone screen is still the big thick clunky thing.

Comment

Looks marginally thicker than my current iMac - which is thin, so that's not a problem.

Comment

My wife has just bought a new Windows machine, which I'm slightly jealous of as it boots in about 5 seconds. (Not a fast processor, but it has SSD disk plus UEFI, I think it's called.) Anyway, it's actually capabable of doing everything I use a PC for. (I don't play games, most strenuous use is probably Monte Carlo simulations of my retirement!)

It cost less than a tenth as much as that iMac.

So I suppose the iMac is for people who are willing to pay ten times as much for a sexier PC.

Or do its users actually have funtional requirements that it meets, and a Windows machine costing 90% less doesn't?

Edit: a tenth might be an exaggeration, I have only a hazy idea of iMac price, however the point remains valid: if the iMac is more than several hundred pounds then it's already costing multiples of what a machine that does everything I need costs.

(Wife's machine was a £200 Zoostorm from Ebuyer, to which was added a £125 22" monitor capable of use in portrait mode.)
                  Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 17 October 2014, 10:16.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
                    My wife has just bought a new Windows machine, which I'm slightly jealous of as it boots in about 5 seconds. (Not a fast processor, but it has SSD disk plus UEFI, I think it's called.) Anyway, it's actually capabable of doing everything I use a PC for. (I don't play games, most strenuous use is probably Monte Carlo simulations of my retirement!)

It cost less than a tenth as much as that iMac.

So I suppose the iMac is for people who are willing to pay ten times as much for a sexier PC.

Or do its users actually have funtional requirements that it meets, and a Windows machine costing 90% less doesn't?

Edit: a tenth might be an exaggeration, I have only a hazy idea of iMac price, however the point remains valid: if the iMac is more than several hundred pounds then it's already costing multiple of what a machine that does everything I need costs.
                    In my opinion, no.

Does it look great, yes.

Is it functionally worth 10 times more than a PC that can essentially the same stuff? No chance.

Comment

Working...
                    X