• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountant based in Scotland?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accountant based in Scotland?

Any recs?

Falkirk ideally but Glasgow/Edinburgh/Stirling all fine.

SJD have offices in Edinburgh and Glasgow if you're looking for someone contractor-specific.
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
      SJD have offices in Edinburgh and Glasgow if you're looking for someone contractor-specific.
      Weren't there issues with the SJD Scottish offices in the past? Just something at the back of my mind says that there were. Something about it being a franchise maybe, rather than something that Simon was in control of, maybe?
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        Weren't there issues with the SJD Scottish offices in the past? Just something at the back of my mind says that there were. Something about it being a franchise maybe, rather than something that Simon was in control of, maybe?
        I think it was a guy who was trading as SJD Scotland and then there was some kind of falling out / commercial dispute. The office locations are on their website so I'm assuming it's all been resolved.

Maybe Lisa could provide some insight next time she's here?
        ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Accountsnet in Livingston. They've just opened an office in Manchester and soon to open in London.

I moved from JSA years ago and Accountsnet were recommended on the PCG website and had gone through some sort of contractor friendly tests by PCG.

Only been in the office a couple of times, everything else has been done online through the portal and via email. Good at sending reminders about upcoming deadlines.

If you want to go with them, give me a shout as they pay £50 for recommendations. Costs around £80 a month incl VAT.

Comment

AW Gray & Butler in Tain. They were doing one/two man Ltd's in the oil industry long before the phrase 'contractor accountant' was first thought of. I've used them 20 years.
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

I'm based in Falkirk. But I wouldn't want to blow my own trumpet. 😄

Comment

@discostu
                There was a huge rumpus between SJD and the guy who ran the glasgow office. From memory it was resolved in sjd's favour but the guy has since set up his own firm. I believe he is now running the scotland office of a firm run and staffed by ex-sjd guys. I can't remember the names. Forbes something maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
                  Accountsnet in Livingston. They've just opened an office in Manchester and soon to open in London.

I moved from JSA years ago and Accountsnet were recommended on the PCG website and had gone through some sort of contractor friendly tests by PCG.

Only been in the office a couple of times, everything else has been done online through the portal and via email. Good at sending reminders about upcoming deadlines.

If you want to go with them, give me a shout as they pay £50 for recommendations. Costs around £80 a month incl VAT.
                  That'll be the Accredited Accountant scheme, where they teach accountants all about the stuff that specifically impacts contractors, like IR35, S660, MSCs, etc., etc. and put them through an exam at the end. Not to be sniffed at, although it says nothing about their ability as an accountant of course.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    That'll be the Accredited Accountant scheme, where they teach accountants all about the stuff that specifically impacts contractors, like IR35, S660, MSCs, etc., etc. and put them through an exam at the end. Not to be sniffed at, although it says nothing about their ability as an accountant of course.
                    Bear in mind that it's the individual, not the firm - so Clare did the course at her previous accountancy, but InTouch aren't accredited.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X