• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Access to Your Account and Content -

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Access to Your Account and Content -

uh huh. The reason why I'll never store any of my 'stuff' on their servers unencrypted...

During my update to Yosemite

. Access to Your Account and Content

Apple reserves the right to take steps Apple believes are reasonably necessary or appropriate to enforce and/or verify compliance with any part of this Agreement. You acknowledge and agree that Apple may, without liability to you, access, use, preserve and/or disclose your Account information and Content to law enforcement authorities, government officials, and/or a third party, as Apple believes is reasonably necessary or appropriate, if legally required to do so or if Apple has a good faith belief that such access, use, disclosure, or preservation is reasonably necessary to: (a) comply with legal process or request; (b) enforce this Agreement, including investigation of any potential violation thereof; (c) detect, prevent or otherwise address security, fraud or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property or safety of Apple, its users, a third party, or the public as required or permitted by law.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    uh huh. The reason why I'll never store any of my 'stuff' on their servers unencrypted...

During my update to Yosemite
    Exactly the same kind of clauses appear in Dropbox, Google, Office 365 and all the other cloud services.

If you look at your ISP contract it will say similar in there as well with regard to monitoring your email and network traffic.

Even if you encrypt it, if they know it's yours local law enforcement will simply pick you up on suspicion and demand the encryption keys. If you don't hand them over you go to jail anyway.

Maintaining any sort of personal security online now requires serious effort and if law enforcement takes an interest in you is nigh on impossible without a huge amount of forward planning.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I do use a cloud service. The data is encrypted. There's no way I'd give up the keys. What would be the charge?
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I do use a cloud service. The data is encrypted. There's no way I'd give up the keys. What would be the charge?
        Details here, scary stuff.
        ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

You only say that because you've been told that by the Cloudco. Any due diligence?

The only safe data is in your head.

Comment

In the UK failure to disclose on request is an offence under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act carrying a penalty on conviction of up to 2 years in Jail. It has been used and people have been jailed for it.

In the US there is no specific law regarding disclosure but attempts to use the 5th Amendment (Protecting the defendant from being forced to incriminate themselves) have not been entirely successful. One judge has ruled that since the encryption key itself does not constitute incriminating evidence there is no protection under the 5th amendment from being required to disclose it and failure to do so would be treated as obstruction. There are a number of cases ongoing around this, but so far the Law Enforcement agencies have the upper hand.

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
              Details here, scary stuff.
              Glad I don't live in the UK.

So you can be imprisoned without evidence of committing a crime. 1930's Germany had nothing on this.

Comment

Glad I don't live in the UK.

So you can be imprisoned without evidence of committing a crime. 1930's Germany had nothing on this.
                You might want to think about your future plans based on the location comment under your avatar

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  In the UK failure to disclose on request is an offence under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act carrying a penalty on conviction of up to 2 years in Jail. It has been used and people have been jailed for it.

In the US you just get sent to Guantanamo until you hand them over
                  FTFY
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                    Exactly the same kind of clauses appear in Dropbox, Google, Office 365 and all the other cloud services.

If you look at your ISP contract it will say similar in there as well with regard to monitoring your email and network traffic.
                    That starts to get scary in the context of The chap who has a dispute with Comcast.

Dispute with ISP? Best not use their mail servers then.

And make sure you encrypt traffic to other mail servers too. That's not even near bulletproof if they are controlling all your traffic.

Yours paranoidally etc etc
                    Last edited by Sysman; 19 October 2014, 16:57.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X