• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Never bin it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never bin it

Advice to the rest of you who are not old farts. Memory gradually fades. Think twice before you throw anything away, no matter how unimportant it seems at the time, it could be an important bit of your own history, summit to look back on when you're sitting drooling in the sun outside the care home.

I never watch anything on TV these days except the news and cartoons like The Simpsons but decided to try New Tricks tonight and it covered something from the cold war days when selected people were contacted with a view to them helping to organise things in Britain in the aftermath of a nuclear armageddon. I got an invite to be part of such a group and I ignored it, thought "how stupid" and chucked the letter.

Darn it! If only I had replied in the affirmative and the world had really been blown to smithereens I might have been one of the world leaders today!

If I had at least kept the letter it would have been a great bit of my personal history. I've still got my post war ID and my Edward Heath petrol rationing book but they ain't the same.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

A few years ago my parents were cleaning out clutter from their loft. In one box, they found my Dad's press pass for the Cavern Club, from when he was a reporter on the Liverpool Daily Post in the early 60s.

Comment

You threw it away? That's what Suity thinks you want us to believe. Have you found any tin foil in your garden recently?

Comment

Looked like it was filmed in Kelvedon Hatch
        Subterranea Britannica: Research Study Group: Sites: Kelvedon Hatch

Took me back to my younger days in the ROC, made me think if my dad would really have locked himself away 12’ under if the worst had happened

Comment

You know the rule (or you should do!). If you havent used something in two years, chuck it out.

Then, 6 months later spend the next 4 weeks looking for said disposed of item because you've 'seen it recently so know its somewhere in the house \ garage \ shed.'
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
            You know the rule (or you should do!). If you havent used something in two years, chuck it out.

Then, 6 months later spend the next 4 weeks looking for said disposed of item because you've 'seen it recently so know its somewhere in the house \ garage \ shed.'
            moving house and the hoarding is really apparent, I expect to spend the time kicking myself because I threw something useful away.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

a test that the commander of a British nuclear-missile submarine must use to determine whether the UK has been the target of a nuclear attack (in which case he has sealed orders which may authorise him to fire his nuclear missiles in retaliation), is to listen for the presence of Today on Radio 4's frequencies. If a certain number of days (said to be three) pass without the programme being broadcast, that is to be taken as evidence that the orders must be executed.
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Today_(BBC_Radio_4)

No way of verifying if this is true, but I really hope it is.
              My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Today_(BBC_Radio_4)

No way of verifying if this is true, but I really hope it is.
                You might think so, I'm sure those in the know could not possibly comment.

The information is in the public domain about Low Frequency radio communications with submarines.

Comment

Working...
                X